Help with DRCBA Showing questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
There is a show in our area in June.
We plan to attend, but wondering if we might enter.

1) my daughter has 3 hlops that will be 3.5 months at show time -- are they too young to enter as juniors? Or is it too soon in their growth?
They are pedigreed.

2) I'd like to take my FG senior buck (14 months at show date)-- he is *not* pedigreed (those behind him were, breeder was getting out of breeding and didn't do this generation, I could probably get his pedigree info)-- can he be shown in classes? I'd like an opinion on what I've got.

3) is there a registration judge/process for DRCBA? I assume the hlops could be registered if so (pedigreed), what about the FG without papers?

4) favourite tips for table training? Videos? Breed specifics?
My 9 year old would show the hlops.

Thanks!

TF3":3aaffywh said:
my daughter has 3 hlops that will be 3.5 months at show time -- are they too young to enter as juniors?

Minimum weight is 2lbs. If they make weight, they can be entered.

Or is it too soon in their growth?

It will be good practice for them, but it is usually the older juniors (close in age to seniors) that will do best in the class.

I'd like to take my FG senior buck (14 months at show date)-- he is *not* pedigreed

Pedigrees are not necessary to show a rabbit. Senior bucks are 13lbs and over. Even if he is underweight, you can still bring him to get an evaluation of his type, although he may get DQ'd. Not a big deal- and if the class is small with few exhibitors (you need 5 rabbits and 3 exhibitors to get a Leg) his entry will still count toward a Leg for a buck in his class as long as the reason for the DQ is written on the control sheet.

is there a registration judge/process for DRCBA?

I'm sure you just need to get your entries in by the deadline, just like any other show.

I assume the hlops could be registered if so (pedigreed), what about the FG without papers?

They have to be seniors, I believe, so their adult weight can be checked. If their paperwork is in order (colors and weights for ancestors in 3 generation pedigree) and the Registrar thinks they meet the standard, they can be registered.

The FG cannot be registered unless he is papered.

favourite tips for table training?

I have no experience with posing either of those breeds, but I think the main thing with any rabbit is to train it to move forward as opposed to backing up. I train my Rex and Satins to push into the hand on their head. If they try to back up I apply pressure with my fingers on either side of their spine a couple inches above the tail, and allow them to push under the hand on their head, and then set them up again.

Hollands are posed upright, but you still don't want them to back away. Most people use a couple of fingers beneath their chin to set them into position.

Flemmies are posed elongated, but again, you do not want them to back up.

The main thing is to get them used to handling and try to set them up as well as you can and then take your hands off of them (that is their "reward") and have them hold that position for a few seconds.

You also want to flip them to check teeth, sex, and toenails.

Most judges seem to be "rabbit whisperers" and will set them up better than you ever could, so you don't have to get it perfect. :)

Have fun at the show! Let us know how it goes. :D

Awesome post!! Thank you!

We'll start getting them up on the table.
They get handled but not posed. Stacked?

I'm going to see if I can track down the pedigree for my FG buck (he is in the 18-20 lb range).
I want to know how he checks out in terms of what I need next (he is light grey, I'd like a lg doe for him if he is worth it ;)) He has such a great docile temperament with people and animals and good size, and ears but I'm too new to gauge the test without experienced eyes and hands.

The hlops-- I think one buck and the doe will be at size (she is now), but our other buck is teeny, I'm guessing a genetic dwarf by his overall appearance and size.

I said I didn't want to show at first but it is valuable towards breeding to standard and improving stock. And I think it will be good for my kiddo :)

Latest posts

Back