Rabbit Smothered in Onions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Either crockpot or deep skillet. (or I suppose, casserole dish in the oven)
2 pieces of bacon fried in skillet.
Sautee 1 onion chopped medium and clover or 2 of garlic if you like in the bacon grease

(omit the bacon if you're going low fat...sautee onion/garlic in a trace of olive oil)

Lightly brown rabbit pieces in the skillet.
Slice 2 or 3 onions and place under and over the rabbit (mostly over..under to keep rabbit up off the pan)
Cover, lower heat (or slowcook until rabbit is done) cook until rabbit is done..approx 30minutes.

Remove meat. add a generous dash of worstershire and a double generous dash of balsamic or Cider vinegar. Cook until the liquid/onion mixture is very thick.

Serve the whole thing on a bed of noodles or rice.

(this works really well with ANY meat..but particularly pork steaks(minus the bacon) and rabbit)

Hmmm....

I think I will try this tomorrow evening :)

It sounds really good........

I "processed" Saturday, and I had rabbit liver and onions Saturday night. A splash of Lea & Perrins, and about 1/3 cup of burgandy......mmmmm.. good. Never though about fixing the meat that way.

I made this tonight. :chef: After I covered the rabbit in sliced onion (I used 3/4 of a sweet Peruvian onion for the whole dish -- that's how big the thing was!), I added some Cabela's All-Purpose seasoning blend (low in salt), and some salt-free McCormick Perfect Pinch herb blend.

I forgot to brown the rabbit pieces. It was wonderful anyway. I served the rabbit separately, and egg noodles tossed with the onion/garlic/rabbit juice/Lea & Perrin's/balsamic vinegar sauce. Salad on the side.

YUM! :D

Latest posts

Back