Cleaning things up?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is exactly where it needs to go, but it seemed the best option since I was thinking "bio-security"-ish.

I have a not-so-healthy herd of rabbits. My first ones, and I didn't really know what to look for and what was red flags. I have vent disease, ear mites, and most likely snuffles all going on. I am getting new rabbits this weekend (much healthier!) - I have all new cages, a whole new area, etc. Problem is, where I have the current ones is a high traffic area... I want to move them out a bit further to my garden area across the yard (mr. snuffles is getting culled, the others I am attempting to treat for vent disease and ear mites... holding my breath on the snuffles for the rest of them) - I say the next part a bit sheepishly but... here it goes. :oops: I am thinking they probably all need to be culled eventually, but one is due to have babies any time now, and another next week... makes it a bit harder of a decision, especially since I am really really new to this and technically what they have is treatable, right? One rabbit having snuffles isn't a 100% guarantee they all will, right?.

What can I do to somewhat "disinfect" the area so that foot traffic doesn't spread illnesses or diseases? I am planning on bleaching my watering buckets, using separate ones for each group, etc. Just trying to think through logistics...

Is it an option to wait until you've cleaned up the current herd before bringing any new rabbits in??

I mean, the vent disease and earmites are already enough to deal with, even if their bodies fought off any pasteurella they may have been exposed to..

How long would I need to wait for it to be "safe" - the lady I am getting them from is going to be traveling and such with her family since her son is graduating so I don't know how much wiggle room I have....

Think in terms of treating the new rabbits for vent disease and earmites, or potentially culling them for pasteurellosis...

If it were my choice, I would miss out this time, and pick them up (or get different rabbits) only after I knew all of my current rabbits were in perfect health.

I am planning on bleaching my watering buckets, using separate ones for each group,

I strongly suggest that you:
Disinfect very article that the infected Rabbits came in contact with!
DO not bring any Rabbits in till you are satisfied with whatever disinfection
acts you take or have taken. You do not want to create/bring about a larger problem than you have alkready gone through. Pasteurella/Snuffles can quickly destroy your entire Herd.
Sometimes it is best to do a through cleaning and start all over again.
At this point you have gained an insight into the problems and you will be better for it!
Trust me, I have had the experience in the past.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back