More newbie questions about showing rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwright565

Reaction score
If you saw my last post you'd see I went to my first rabbit show today. It was super fun and I was able to talk to a silver fox breeder who has rabbits available! Yay! Now that I have a general idea of how a show runs I have a few questions about actually showing a rabbit.

I want to show silver foxes but there's not a lot of silver fox sanctioned shows in my area. Can I show them at any abra show or only shows that are silver fox sanctioned? What happens if there's not a lot of entry's in my breed? Today there were only 3 so I can imagine it would be possible to go to a show and have the only rabbit in that breed. Would the judge still judge it?

What do I need to prepare a rabbit for a show? How long before the show should I start working with it?

does the rabbit need a pedigree to show?

Do I or my rabbit need to be registered with the arba?

I'm sure I have more questions but that's all I can think of right now. Thanks!

Yes you can show at any ARBA show - sanctions by breed clubs are for those who are working on sweepstakes points within their breed club. Only one? The Judge will still give you comments and hey- you'll be BOB off you're not DQed ;) Now if you are trying to get your rabbit legs ( major wins) you do need at least 5 rabbits in your class shown by 3 different people and have the Best rabbit or the Best Opposite rabbit. Your rabbits do not need a pedigree to show- I think other people can give you a better idea on what exactly you do to prepare- generally you want your rabbits in their best condition both body and fur. Easier said than done but not impossible- even if it isn't the best it could be it might be the best at that show so don't be afraid to take it even if you think it isn't tip top. Your rabbits do not have to be registered to show but they do need to be registered if you want to make it a Grand Champion.

In my understanding, in order to register a rabbit, you have to get (three?) representatives from the ARBA to personally inspect the rabbit and deem it worthy.. something like that. Sounds like a real hassle.

Susie570":3ukx3lud said:
In my understanding, in order to register a rabbit, you have to get (three?) representatives from the ARBA to personally inspect the rabbit and deem it worthy.. something like that. Sounds like a real hassle.

I believe all you have to do is bring it up to the registration table and have them look it over and look at your pedigree and then it is done.

To register a rabbit 1. You need to be a member of ARBA 2. Have a fully complete 3 gen. Pedigree (have an extra copy so the register can just attach it to the paper work) 3 present your rabbit and $6 to a ARBA registrar. If it meets the standards the paperwork is filled out and sent to ARBA and you'll get a nifty certificate in the mail. Only Registered rabbits can get a Grand Champion certificate after gaining 3 "legs"

Well, it's good to know that they streamline the process at shows. Of course we have no local shows.... :/

I swear, it seems like I have to spearhead everything I'm interested in around here. I started a local drum circle, I started a regular jam session, I recently started a Spiral Scouts Circle, I started a homeschooling group, I got musicians together to support the new (only) weekly coffeehouse, I started a weekly coffeehouse at the local UU ages ago (now defunct), I started a group of musicians who go to nursing homes to play... I'm not sure I have enough room on my plate to start a local rabbit org to support shows, but it's needed. :/

Wait... just found a southern wv rabbit breeder's association. On Facebook. They meet about an hour away. Gonna check it out. :D

Latest posts

Back