any one make their own pellets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I am contemplating purchase of a pellet mill; I can purchase organic alfalfa and make my own feed. timeconsuming, but I will also know what is in it...

thoughts?

And how much would that cost??
hard to justify it, really, you can go to a mill and order up your own mix, or call them and see how much they charge for the tonne milled

Actually it can work out:
organic alfalfa: $225/ton
Machine $4000

I can sell surplus for $.50/lb so I should cover my feed cost and recover machine cost in 2 years...

I've considered a pellet mill. It would be useful for combining fine ingredients that you would like in the rabbit's diet, any kind of powdered supplements, for example.

I had rabbits and chickens at the time, though, so it would have been doing double duty. Plus selling as much extra as I could mill.

The problem with going through the local feed mill is that they usually have a minimum of at least a ton, and I simply don't have enough animals to justify that. The small batch capability is valuable.

I have located the machine in China (shudder) for about 1/3 US retail... Also found my dairy alfalfa... organic!

Latest posts

Back