Starter Recipes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Ok, so I guess rabbit meat is in our future.
As folks who are new to rabbit, what's a good recipe to start with? Preferably nothing overly complicated, something that will let us experience and enjoy the meat. We're not into really fattening dishes, like heavy cream, cheese etc.

Ideas?

My kids three favorites are:
Baked BBQ rabbit, bunny noodle soup, and oven baked bunny nuggets.

I like to make stir fried rabbit over rice if I have cuts from a tender young fryer.

If you have a grinder, rabbit taco meat and bunny breakfast sausage are good.

Ground rabbit is very mild and versatile. For reasons not entire understood to me, it holds itself together quite a bit better than venison burger.

Zass":27jqxgif said:
My kids three favorites are:
Baked BBQ rabbit, bunny noodle soup, and oven baked bunny nuggets.

I like to make stir fried rabbit over rice if I have cuts from a tender young fryer.

If you have a grinder, rabbit taco meat and bunny breakfast sausage are good.

Ground rabbit is very mild and versatile. For reasons not entire understood to me, it holds itself together quite a bit better than venison burger.

Are those recipes in the forum? I don't mind looking for them.

If you like bacon, it is wonderful for basting rabbit. We sometimes roast legs or loins of rabbit wrapped in bacon and resting on a bed of mixed chopped veggies like carrots, celery, peppers. Black pepper, allspice and a bit of your favourite herb sprinkled over the veggies and a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water (not too much) for moisture so the veggies get tender.

Our absolute favourite is rabbit pie, but it's quite a bit of work. My recipe calls for one mature rabbit, but two fryers should work just as well.
i-m-making-a-rabbit-pie-t3094.html

You can all find the recipes I mentioned in the rabbit recipes forum, I think.

I just prepare them same way I'd make the same kind of dishes with chicken or maybe ground turkey or pork.

Sorry,
I'm notoriously unhelpful with recipes. :twisted:

For something easy..put it in the crock pot with a cup of half apple juice and half water. Remove bones and shred meat..serve on buns with barbeque sauce.. my family loves this. And it just meat. Great for first meal. :D

we just toss it in the crock pot with water, salt and pepper, after it is about done you can add carrots and potatoes if you want, -- but I like to make mashed potatoes, and steamed carrots, and use the juice from the rabbit to make gravy...

katiebear":3986qk5h said:
For something easy..put it in the crock pot with a cup of half apple juice and half water. Remove bones and shred meat..serve on buns with barbeque sauce.. my family loves this. And it just meat. Great for first meal. :D

That sounds really easy!! I'm afraid that I won't prepare the meat properly and will ruin the dish. :/

I can cook chicken but I suspect rabbit is more delicate. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 pm __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":3986qk5h said:
we just toss it in the crock pot with water, salt and pepper, after it is about done you can add carrots and potatoes if you want, -- but I like to make mashed potatoes, and steamed carrots, and use the juice from the rabbit to make gravy...

Yummy :)

Syberchick70":1vu5omp1 said:
That sounds really easy!! I'm afraid that I won't prepare the meat properly and will ruin the dish. :/

I was that way at first and I have been cooking for around 40 years (OH.WOW WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?)...anyway, it is pretty easy to prepare.. most chicken recopies work well.. check out the recipe page under meat rabbits. there are some real winners there. And once you start you will never look back, I must warn you as addictive as they are as pets, they are even more so as dinner.. :dinner: :good-luck:

Any of the baked rabbit recipes like "honey baked rabbit", "spicy orange rabbit", or "plum good rabbit" are very easy. If I recommend a recipe it has to be easy. With any of those you just combine the sauce ingredients, pour over the rabbit and bake and they all turn out delicious. They are all light, sweet sauces.

Someone at work gave me one the other day. He said Olive Oil and Old Bay seasoning. I have to get the details but I thought it sounded interesting, especially since I love OLD bay.

I guess I'll have to wait now... I happily sold the last kit from the litter today (well aside from the one I decided to keep). I'm considering buying a processed rabbit from some folks I met online who raise meat rabbits locally though. :)

Susie570":1t13bko3 said:
I'm considering buying a processed rabbit from some folks I met online who raise meat rabbits locally though. :)

Yes!!..try it... :twisted: You will be raising meat rabbits in no time... :twisted: Welcome to the dark side... :lol:

Latest posts

Back