Wildlife Refuges

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marian

Reaction score
For those who have wildlife rescue organizations near them, it could be a small source of income. Got a call from an lady who does raccoon rescue and rehabilitation. She was wondering if I sold newborns. I said obviously I wouldn't sell live newborns (she agreed) but on occassion I had newborns chill and die or were stillborn and she was welcome to them, no charge. Don't like raccoons much, myself personally, but they do have their purpose and I've proofed my coop against them so live and let live.

Marian

MaggieJ":3ha6u11u said:
One of our members (I think it is Terry of "Frosted Rabbits") sells rabbits to a wildlife refuge. Could be a good source of profit if you can find the right place.

Wildlife refuges and rehabbers are not inclined to pay a lot for our culls. The reason, they are non-profit, existing on donations of funds and supplies. One that I know of that actually has a budget (part of the county park system) I refuse to send any of my culls too-- [for reasons surrounding some of their ethics]---

If looking for an outlet such as a wildlife center, keep in mind-- their monetary budgets are slim, the animals must be fresh,(no roadkill type situations) medication free, and in relatively decent health. While certain animals will scavenge rotten food in the wild, the state permits that the centers must have require 'wholesome' food sources.
Weigh young rabbits--compare their weights to mice, rats, etc. Diets are set up for most animals by grams or the equivalent of numbers of mice, rats, chicks. As a rehabber, it is also nice not to have to deal with animals that still have urine in their bladders. Things get pretty messy during thawing or feeding if the bladder is full.

Anyone going to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count next week?

Terry

Latest posts

Back