feeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitready

Reaction score
I have my first rabbit and I have a question about feed. She doesn't seem to eat very much of her timothy hay.
Drinks well, eats her feed pellets and eats the greens I put in her craite....ie beet tops, carrot tops, dandelions, blackberry leaves, Brussels, green beans, parsley etc.
I don't think she was given very much of the greens in her previous home.
Vet said that the healthiest longest living bunnies have been fed a more natural diet.
I don't think that I give her a lot of the fresh greens really but sometimes her pellets are very soft and clump together or stick to her butt and man she hates butt baths!
But then she doesn't seem to be eating much of her timothy hay.
How long do you leave the timothy hay in with her before you change it out? daily?
I was told that she should be eating her size in timothy hay and that yes it decreases in hot weather but I don't want to do something wrong.
Quantity of fresh greens would be 3 green beans or 5 stems of parsley, less than a handful of raspberry leaves....and no not all together and not on the same day.
Should I just persevere and she will adjust?
Thanks for your patience

Hay in a rack won't go stale and can be left up until it's gone. If it's on the floor and peed on then you need to replace it more often

I would stop feeding greens and cut back on pellets to get her to eat her hay - it really is the most important part of a pet rabbits diet. If I recall correctly she is a Mini Rex so around 4 to 5 pounds and she should be eating at least a small handful of hay each day. Once she's finished her hay then you can give her desert - ie fresh greens :)

Once

Back