THAT went well.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I have three English Angoras - a proven doe, a proven buck, and a younger (though breeding age) doe. Yesterday, when a quick check showed that the does should be receptive, I tried breeding both does. The buck was eager and persistent, but the younger doe never lifted, even after a second attempt later in the day. The proven doe crouched in a corner and literally cried and closed her eyes, so I immediately removed her.

Everyone is in good health as far as I can tell. The rabbits are well fed but not overweight. It was a sunnier and warmer day than we've had in a while. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

What do you feed them, Kathleen?

Chances are they were just "not in the mood" and the younger doe may have been just plain scared, but sometimes a shortage of Vitamins A and E will result in breeding problems.

Hi, Maggie.

They get Purina pellets in the morning and oats/BOSS in the afternoon. They have free choice access to some fine quality hay (though not alfalfa) that I use for the goats. Fresh water twice a day. I am also using up the remainder of the papaya tablets. I understand now that the tablets won't prevent wool block, but the rabbits enjoy the taste, I think.

I am planning on moving to a more natural diet for them as I can plant and grow things in the Spring.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kathy

Latest posts

Back