My doe is FAT~ what to do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I'm crazypants, i know.. I was just asking about my slow growing kits.. but over the last couple of days I noticed how fat my doe has gotten! :lol:

Apparently nursing 10 kits isn't draining her resources!
She was eating her head off the first 2 weeks. Now they are 3.5 weeks, and sharing her pellets and water and hay.
She is heavier now than when she was full-term with 11 kits. (Flemish cross)
I had her out of her pen today and was rather shocked at how portly she has become!

Since she isn't jazzed with her kits hanging out in her space, should I start to give her more time apart in the day and feed her separately, returning her at night and removing food from the kits then?
I'd like to rebreed her relatively soon, after weaning etc.

Thanks!

If she's getting fat...it's probably better to use that energy towards making new kits. :)

You can re-breed now and let her share space with the babies for the next 2 or 3 weeks if you want. Does will still nurse during pregnancy.

Some does will wean their babies at 4 weeks, and I have a pic of a doe nursing a kit past 10 weeks...

So yeah. Separate them whenever you are comfortable and feel the kits are off to a good start.

As for feed. That's your call too.
I personally like to keep feed in front of my babies 24-7, and would re-breed a plump doe sooner than I would keep food restricted from babies.

Sounds like a plan.
She has been wagging her big bottom at the buck next door, so I think she's game ;)

I actually picked up a rex cross doe today who was bred yesterday, in hopes that I could get them on the same cycle of kindling later this summer since my other does are not ready until fall, at least, so breeding Clover now works out well.
The babies are doing well, but I'd feel better leaving them with mom for a bit longer~ she isn't a fan of them, but she isn't objecting strongly yet.

Now if only someone would manage my big butt... and I don't think a baby is gonna help or happen ;)

(I really appreciate your answers~ I know I have a lot of questions!)

Latest posts

Back