Rex for Meat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I picked up a rex (cross) doe today for the purpose of having her in case I need a foster mom when I rebreed my Flemish X.
I wanted a NZ or Cali but none at all locally of breeding age, and this doe was practically around the corner, which is saying something in my neck of the woods.
I am wondering about breeding her with my Cali buck down the road for meat?

Some lines of Rex do really well for meat. I don't know exactly how mine will do yet but I'm hopeful.

If your willing to grow out to around 16 weeks you can get super nice pelts also.

I don't expect much from her for pelt... she is a cross, to my knowledge, and although her face seems Rex, her coat seems normal (not-rex) to my inexperienced eye.
I'll have to get some pics of her.
The buck she was bred to yesterday (before I got her) is also a cross, although a litter he sired was in the grow out pen and all had very rex-y coats.
So these I expect may be our first for the freezer!

Do they generally need a little longer grow out before processing?

If both the doe and the buck are part Rex, you might get some Rex furred kits.

Rex do tend to grow slower- but I think it may be in part because they are not voracious eating machines, so maybe it works out in the end anyway. I also raise Satins, and they grow faster, but really chow down on the pellets.

My young Calis are eating machines... Compared to my Hollands if the same age. Holy cow, you tell which were bred to gain weight quickly!

TF3":3p79bjte said:
Holy cow, you tell which were bred to gain weight quickly!

Yeah- which would be really important in a commercial meat operation, where "real estate" is at a premium. You want those kits to hit 5lbs as quickly as possible so you can move another litter into their pen.

I just love the temperament (and fur! And colors!) of the Rex though- so don't mind sacrificing a little extra time growing them out. :)

My main problem with them growing out that little bit slower is more of them sell before I get to butcher them. Not a normal problem, I know. :lol:

The few we have butchered though are very meaty and flavorful and you just cant beat the hides for fur, its the best!

GBov":c68u9yle said:
My main problem with them growing out that little bit slower is more of them sell before I get to butcher them. Not a normal problem, I know. :lol:

The few we have butchered though are very meaty and flavorful and you just cant beat the hides for fur, its the best!

Yeah I have the same problem with my Rex , I always try to sell a few to offset feed costs & end up selling more than I anticipated or really care to.

This has me eating less than I want & not having the hides in the volume needed for projects I have in the works .... but its hard to beat getting dinner for free , a handful of hides & a few extra $$.

Really wish I had the space to expand but that's not in the cards right now.

Latest posts

Back