Fertilizing the yard

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
Hello all!! I have been considering on fertilizing my yard and putting down some weed and feed as well. The thing is that I try to take my buns out of the cage, into a chicken pen, for about an hour or so a day, time permitting. This way they can get off the wire for awhile, get some fresh grass, as well as some exercise. That being said, will the fertilizer or weed and feed hurt the rabbits or would they even bother with it?

If it would be harmful to them, I could just omit and area where I put them out. Also, if it is harmful, how long should I wait until I can put them in the fertilized space?

Thanks.

Build yourself a rabbit tractor. Put the buns in it and move it around the yard. You'll have the best free fertilizer and weed eaters around.

Otherwise, I would keep the buns away from treated grass.

I guess you could call it a tractor, sort of. I can move it anywhere I want to. I'm a little of leery of moving it much though, due to some weeds I have in the yard that I can't figure out what they are, so I don't know if the rabbits can eat them or not.

Rain will spread anything you put on the lawn to all other areas unless you are working on a hill. I know there are plenty of nontoxic fertilizers even in liquid form but weed and feed is nasty stuff and why do you want to kill all your dandelions and useful bunny feeding weeds?

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2010/06/6-rea ... your-lawn/
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health/ehc ... _feed.html

There are a variety of safer herbicide and fertilizer options. I'm still looking in to it as previously I lived all on farms and we didn't really care what grew in the mowed areas and we could abandon entire areas of various plants. Right now I'm concentrating on boron based herbicides because of creeping charlie/ground ivy taking over and it's extra sensitive to boron concentrations.

Great info, akane!! For the record, I have never done this before, but since I live on a golf course, I need to keep my yard in decent order. I have neglected it within the last few years and my yard is full of weeds, some the I don't know what they are. The dandelions are about done here now as well. I just want a happy medium between the two!

Oh, and my yard is on a pretty good slant too. I get all the rain from my neighbor, and from across the golf course too.

I can practically guarantee that the golf course isn't using organic treatments for their fairways. I would be very hesitant letting the buns out in those circumstances.

The way the runoff is with my yard, I try to keep them out of the lower parts, where the fertilizer wouldn't be the most prominent. If I can get a better place to let them run, I will. Where I put them is pretty close to my house, but it would be better if it could be on the other side of the 'ditch', except not much grows over there.

I don't suppose you could build a low berm to separate your yard from the golf course? You could plant it with pretty bushes so it wouldn't be an eyesore but would keep their toxic water on their side of the berm?

Frecs":15nsizsf said:
I don't suppose you could build a low berm to separate your yard from the golf course? You could plant it with pretty bushes so it wouldn't be an eyesore but would keep their toxic water on their side of the berm?

I could, but that would be expensive for me. Maybe next year, I may try a few rows of corn along the property line though.

Back