Age of people showing rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
Are there many seniors showing, or is this more for the 4 h kids?
I see open shows, but I just wonder how many adults show their rabbits.
I am interested in learning to do so, but don't want to be the only old lady in the group.
I groom dogs for a living and have really dedicated myself to my work for the last several years, and I need something else to do or I am going to go nuts.
I had rabbits growing up, and enjoyed them very much, but never showed any. We just had NZW rabbits mostly for meat for the family. I just love some of the varieties out there now, and am looking forward to going to some shows this spring and summer just to watch. I don't even have any rabbits yet, as I am concentraing on putting my cages up first.
Have picked out the breed I like, (rex) but am not even ready to buy one yet. I do know I will only have a four hole set up.
Want to start with a well bred doe and raise a litter, before I get a buck, or I may just get another bred doe If I can find one the quality and color I want. I am picky so it will take me some time. For now I am concentrating on building my hutches, and getting to some shows to just watch and learn.

Both. There's 5 year olds showing, 10 year olds, 19 year olds, 30 year olds..

It's for everyone. Trust me, they'll be happy to show you the ropes. Our open show has a senior class for the adults. At least iirc it does. But yes, there's adults showing as well. And everyone will be more than happy to help you.

It's never too late!

If you're doing showmanship (which is what I assume you're talking about, showing you don't really participate) you don't need a quality animal. Just get a friendly one off craigslist. Showmanship is about what you know and you do, not the quality of the animal. The most important thing for showmanship is that the animal is easy going and handable.

There were definitely white haired older ladies and gentlemen at the last show I attended. One thing I love about rabbit showing is that age doesn't seem to matter at all.

From what I have seen, its all age groups.
That said, the kids have more fun with it, congratulate each other, and are happy for whoever wins.
The older folks get kinda crappy at times. I've even seen a lady start pouting, and then start crying when her rabbit didn't win its class.

Though we personally have not shown yet ourselves, 2 of the three ladies I bought rabbits from both show competitively themselves. They love it.

My wife is 40 and is just now starting to show rabbits.
I have been to shows, but never show myself. I love helping my daughter though.
I am constantly back and forth, carrying carriers, filling out registration cards, listening for what rabbits are being shown and where, and visiting with friends.
I will say that my family has become pretty good friends with LopLover's family, and we met through rabbit shows. You can meet some super folks at shows.

We showed horses for many years, and I know all about the poor sportsmanship thing with the adults. I can't imagne someone bawling like a baby though. Thats almost well,, funny. Sorry but its supposed to just help you know where you need to go with your stock. Hope I can get to some shows to watch soon.

There are good people and crabby people as is in everything. Some breeds more than others. I know that those that show Mini Lops get along really well with eachother. We're a big ol family.

I want to say something about Rex. Watch what colors you breed to what. Try to stick to one variety.

I was a dog groomer also (retired now), WELCOME! I didn't start breeding and showing rabbits until I was 56. I feel like I fit right in at all the shows, most everyone in my breed are very nice and supportive. We also have quite a few handicapped people or people with medical problems showing. Since there is not near as much physical effort to showing rabbits as most other animals, it seems to be very doable for them.

I am 58- and except for issues with noise and space, I find the limited showing I have done to be very disabled or elderly friendly. Just remember as with any show species, showground food is expensive, and may not agree with sensitive systems.

I can't imagne someone bawling like a baby though. Thats almost well,, funny.

I always think along the lines of, "Who knows what sort of condition X person might have, since not being neurotypical certainly doesn't end at puberty."

Atypically sensitive behavior might be quite a struggle for the person experiencing it, and I think, even people who cry at shows for reasons we cannot understand still deserve to be treated with respect.

:soap:

I know so many neurologically atypical, its the "normal" that throws me off! I finally met someone from on_line last weekend, and on Sunday, she asked via FB how her social skills came across. Doesn't matter what a disability is, sometimes crying is the only way to cope with a major disappointment. Now, if I won a large class, I'd probably have to be carried out on a stretcher - I don't know how to handle that! :pancake:

I started raising and showing at the ripe old age of 13 and continued until just after my 21st birthday, shortly after which I began a 22-year career in the U.S. Air Force. Today, I am 50, have been back in showrooms for going on 5 years now, and couldn't be happier.

I'm sure at times that it seems like many shows are 4-H/FFA meets, and in many ways they are, but in now way should the bigger picture be painted as being like that everywhere. It is far from the truth.

After i retired... my husband and i wanted a hobby that would get us "out and about" with people with similar interests.
We met ( long ago ) at a rabbit show.... and thought we might enjoy doing rabbits again.
We have not regretted that decision.
We have traveled... to purchase stock.... and to show.... and sometimes just to visit with the friends we have made.
So yes.... rabbits are a nice hobby for us seniors.
( just don't call us "elderly"....that title is way off in the future. :) )

Back