E. Cuniculi

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Talk to me about this illness.
:
I've read the barbi brown page : https://barbibrownsbunnies.com/wryneck/

I've seen it in action. Wry neck, spots in the eye etc.

BUT .... fader kits? Rabbits who carry without symptons???

Then how would one know it is in one's herd or not?

I have never gotten wry neck kits.

I do get kits that don't grow well, but they seem healthy enough, just smaller than expected for their age. Is that cuniculi????

I ask because I sold a doe. Her kits have wry neck in her new home and I'm trying to figure out if the doe had it here (though her kits were always fine for me) and how would I have possibly known? I am wondering if it was brought in for the new owner on the hay she feeds? Or if it originated in my barn.

AND if it's possible that my rabbits are all carriers do I need to treat them all?

How would you know just looking at them???? If you don't see signs then how do you know without vetting them and vetting 20 rabbits seems a bit unrealistic.

EC is often not manifest until a stress period, or some immune system problem. Some rabbits will never show symptoms, and some will show symptoms in old age [pet rabbits] - most young rabbits who show symptoms will show them after weening stress. It can be manifest as wryneck [front end Central nervous system damage], or as rear end mobility problems. The eye thing is a result of it being passed through the placenta from the mom to the embryo . The test for EC is only a titer test, and only shows exposure to the protozoan parasite, it does not show weather or not they are infected.[the rabbit immune system can sometimes defeat it] Panacur and ponazuril , in combination usually kill it, but great care should be taken to prevent re-infection.
I have successfully treated [at least "apparently " cured ] EC by using Garlic , as it kills other protozoan parasites [coccidiosis] but I have not the money to have all the kits tested to see if they have "been exposed " or not. But no symptoms of the disease have manifest after the Garlic treatment.

how do you feed the garlic? just a clove? minced?

would garlic chives work?

I've never had symptoms... so that's where my confusion lies. BUT if I can treat the herd using garlic then I'll treat them using garlic.

IMHO it's similar to pasturella but not as prevalent so not all rabbits have it but some can and not show symptoms

In rabbits with weak immune systems it is likely to show up or the stress of a new variant of the parasite can cause a flare up in rabbits that were previously asymptomatic

If you've never seen any symptoms in your herd, especially with the high numbers you've produced over the years, I HIGHLY suspect this person got it from somewhere else - either other rabbits or a visitor with an infected rabbit or a used cage

E.Cuni is prevalent in a local Southern Ontario rabbit rescue - PM if you want the name

How long has the rabbit been in the new home? How old are the kits

The disease can cause cloudy eyes in young kits within 3 weeks of first exposure so unless she was sold pregnant its unlikely your place is the source

You could just treat everyone for 30 days with fenbendazole and sanitize all cages, feeders, waters, toys, scoops, walls, anything the rabbit might have gotten urine on if you want to be certain :shrug:

I don't know what her cages are, i can ask.

The doe was sold pregnant, kits would be around five weeks old now I'm guessing... (I'd have to check back).

Apparently two of six kits were affected. Big litter for that doe as she always had litters of three for me. All kits would do well.

From what I've read it can come in on infected hay as well as i know she feeds hay from the horses.

I feed garlic chives, or garlic tops, - when i feed it, I feed a bunch about 8 to 10 inches long about the size of a quarter, I feed it for about 3 weeks. [or so] -then after a week or two I feed it once a week to once / month, -about a dime to nickle size bunch, [because I feed weeds with dirt on the roots]-- -- I feed it when I first walk through the rabbits and check everything, -then when i am done with chores in about a half hr to an hour, I remove any that is left in the cage, - [there is usually none to remove] --The amounts fed are not too critical, as long as you feed plenty - I have found that when they get enough of it-- they quit eating it, and move on to something else --

I can do garlic chives. Don't have enough to do them all but over the summer, definitely can push it through. :)

ladysown":3iwux3gx said:
I can do garlic chives. Don't have enough to do them all but over the summer, definitely can push it through. :)

that's why I love garlic chives, they grow great and it is easy to get a big patch, that will grow from early spring until a very hard frost -so they are always available when I am feeding any kind of weeds or greens --[except kale in the winter -and that does not have dirt in it]

Back