Now what? (delicate issue)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
I've posted ads to introduce my 'upcoming' Rabbitry and gotten a good bit of excitement from the local Pet market. I'm advertising 'Superior Designer Pet Rabbits, bred especially for Personality, Color and Health' as well as Purebred Mini Lops with potential Show Quality in the near future.

Unfortunately, this is also drawing the attention of breeders who are making some snarky comments. I'm sure they're not happy for the competition and annoyed that I'm actually selling my rabbits for more than the average $5-10 people typically get for mixed breed rabbits around here.

I expected this and I'm just responding with smiles and light humor.
My concern is.... what I say when they ask what happens to the rabbits we can't sell? This is similar to the conversation with my son, I guess. I don't want to lie about it, but I can just see a smear campaign started about the evil person who eats bunnies.

I need to have a good answer ready without being too callous, or ridiculous about it. What do you folks say to pet customers when they ask?

I like Homers answer :)

I've never had a buyer ask what happens to rabbits that don't sell. I've had friends ask and I told them the truth - they become raw pet food

At this point I would rather sell them than eat them (unless I get culls that I don't want to rehome). But I'm more worried that they're going to go to my Facebook page and ask to try and make me look bad. Maybe they won't, but I've been around the internet too long to not be worried about it. I think the designer rabbit thing was brilliant... And it's going to ruffle feathers. ;)

I just realized that I had misread Homer's answer (on my tiny phone screen) :roll:
NOW I see why it's such a clever answer!!! "I don't have ANY That are UNSPOKEN for!!!" bahahah... yes, perfect. Thank you :D

Its going to happen, you are in an area where "pet only" people are rampant. You're closer to a couple fanatics in Huntington/Charleston area that are pro-PETA. That answer is a good answer, but after that I'm sure (if haven't already) going to be asked why taking homes from shelter pets, etc. Just be prepared for that too.

The breeder one, well that's a little different. IF they are area breeders that don't show, yep I'd say they are going how can she be out selling me at a higher price deal. IF it is breeders that actively show, they are wondering how you can possibly state those things as you never know when a litter is going to be a complete waste (no live kits, no litter period, all pet quality, all brood quality, etc). Advertising even possible show potential stock is for most on those FB boards and at shows is asking for trouble, you don't look serious and you look irresponsible/not serious, and like a thief as there has been a rash of those saying they'll have x rabbits people pay deposits then never get the rabbit or never get a refund. Not saying all people think that, I've seen a few that will take placement of pick of a litter by a small deposit and seem to do okay, but they aren't taken seriously in the show community as a whole and I never see the breeders with better stock selling to those people unless its just a fluke at a show and the other breeder just doesn't know that person.

Syberchick70":1s5s1bdm said:
At this point I would rather sell them than eat them (unless I get culls that I don't want to rehome). But I'm more worried that they're going to go to my Facebook page and ask to try and make me look bad. Maybe they won't, but I've been around the internet too long to not be worried about it. I think the designer rabbit thing was brilliant... And it's going to ruffle feathers. ;)

I don't do Facebook, but is there no way to delete posts to your page? I ask because I have learned that if someone wants to cause trouble, they will find a way to keep at it unless you shut them down from the start.

I love Homer's response for face to face questions, but I can see the online drama:
"What happens to rabbits that don't sell?"
"All my rabbits are spoken for."
"Sure, this litter, but what happens when one doesn't sell?"
"There are plans for all the rabbits."
"Yeah, but what are the plans?"
etc., etc.

From your posts, Syberchick, I can tell you're a sofite, just like me. Do yourself a favor. When it comes to your rabbits, try to develop a harder shell and stick to it. It will end up saving you a lot of time, a lot of trouble, and potential problems down the road.

I respect the time and though you're putting into this idea. I hope it is a big success for you.

Every Rabbit born serves a GOOD purpose!
It may be as a Show Rabbit, or a personal Pet,
or an exceptionally tasty meal for it's either Human or animal
needing a great source of nourishment!
No Rabbit is wasted! If they are born they are put to some necessary use.
Some may not agree, but opinions are like Belly buttons, everybody has one!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

How about: "I have no surplus rabbits."

"But what if you do have extras another time?"

"It's never happened, but if it does I could donate them to a raptor rehab centre."

Of course, since they will not be surplus because you eat them, the rehab centre simply provides an acceptable answer. At least I hope it would be acceptable.

MaggieJ":3gschutw said:
"It's never happened, but if it does I could donate them to a raptor rehab centre."

That's actually a really good answer! I'm sure I will still get the "how could you!!" responses, but we DO have a raptor center nearby AND I know the great folks who run it. So, it I ever truly did have more rabbits than I wanted, I'm sure they would be grateful to have them.

Marinea":3gschutw said:
I don't do Facebook, but is there no way to delete posts to your page? I ask because I have learned that if someone wants to cause trouble, they will find a way to keep at it unless you shut them down from the start.

I think I can delete troublesome posts from my page, but not if people start harassing my post in a group that doesn't belong to me, for example.

Marinea":3gschutw said:
From your posts, Syberchick, I can tell you're a sofite, just like me. Do yourself a favor. When it comes to your rabbits, try to develop a harder shell and stick to it. It will end up saving you a lot of time, a lot of trouble, and potential problems down the road.

I respect the time and though you're putting into this idea. I hope it is a big success for you.

True, I am a big softie and you're right. I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself. I'm sure that my biggest market will be the pet market and people are excited about the fact that I'm demonstrating a caring attitude toward the rabbits, going the extra mile to educate new owners, trying to find decent homes for the rabbits, making sure they are handled regularly and good with people, etc. I even plan to give a 'birth certificate' with every rabbit, even the mixed breed. People are interested. I honestly don't expect to make much money on this venture, I'm trying to be realistic as much as possible. I will be satisfied if the rabbits can earn their keep and put good meat on the table. ;) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:31 pm __________ <br /><br />
Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3gschutw said:
Its going to happen, you are in an area where "pet only" people are rampant. You're closer to a couple fanatics in Huntington/Charleston area that are pro-PETA. That answer is a good answer, but after that I'm sure (if haven't already) going to be asked why taking homes from shelter pets, etc. Just be prepared for that too.

Great... Sounds like fun.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3gschutw said:
The breeder one, well that's a little different. IF they are area breeders that don't show, yep I'd say they are going how can she be out selling me at a higher price deal. IF it is breeders that actively show, they are wondering how you can possibly state those things as you never know when a litter is going to be a complete waste (no live kits, no litter period, all pet quality, all brood quality, etc). Advertising even possible show potential stock is for most on those FB boards and at shows is asking for trouble, you don't look serious and you look irresponsible/not serious, and like a thief as there has been a rash of those saying they'll have x rabbits people pay deposits then never get the rabbit or never get a refund. Not saying all people think that, I've seen a few that will take placement of pick of a litter by a small deposit and seem to do okay, but they aren't taken seriously in the show community as a whole and I never see the breeders with better stock selling to those people unless its just a fluke at a show and the other breeder just doesn't know that person.

I hope I won't have trouble buying stock. That would be frustrating. :/ As for not knowing what you can get from litters, Heck no one ever knows. A person would be ridiculous to accept deposits on any animal before it's at least 6 weeks old. I would be willing to take waiting list information from people, but nothing more. I'm sure I'm causing some waves and will be criticized, but folks will eventually see that I'm not trying to mislead anyone or misrepresent any of my stock. If I'm able to produce any show quality stock, later on, the rabbits will speak for themselves in the showring.

There well always be unhappy people, but I'm hoping for positive testimonials from happy customers. I've already gotten some good feedback, but I'm not expecting miracles. ;) I really appreciate all of this great preparation from folks who have 'been there'.

I've been promoting RT too... Such a great resource!

How about "Any unsold rabbits will have a home with me for their lifetime." You needn't say how long that life may be. ;)

You can delete facebook posts to your page. Some very very annoying person decided to rant on my page about how I treated them. He was messaging me every 4 hrs asking the same question until I answered. I asked him to stop and I would answer when I could. Then it took me a day and a half to check that facebook page. He set off on how I don't keep people informed (no one else has that complaint) and my rudeness asking him to stop mass messaging me. *delete* Problem solved. I keep my business page and half my buying resources on a separate account from the personal facebook page I use. Right now while my business page has the correct city the personal account it's connected to says our previous address. Nearly no connection between the 2 accounts. Sure if people really looked around facebook it wouldn't be too hard to connect that I'm running 2 accounts but they'd have to put in more effort than just clicking my name to come harass me.

Following with interest!

I am trying to be honest and educate around meat but it is a balancing act, for sure (and we are planning to produce meat). I have had a few judgemental "another litter?" Or "another rabbit" comments on my personal page and have just said that we are operating a working rabbitry, not pets and left it at that LOL

I have already had the local teenage rabbit girl (who flogs her rabbits mercilessly and if you ever contact her she emails you non stop to try and sell you something) asking how I could ask $20 for my FG kits when she charges $10. In the spirit of education I asked her if she ever calculated feed costs for them? Or value as meat etc. and said folks can choose to pay what they want. I had no trouble selling at that price point.

Re. Pricing hecklers...

--too cheap cheapens your product, there is an association with higher price = better quality so you don't want to price yourself out but if you are willing to wait the right buyers will come.

I have had calls from across the province from my kijiji ad at $20 each because it seemed more legit than the $5 offers but obviously is not breeding or show stock.

Good point, English Spot!

Hmm... :thinking:

"All rabbits will have a home with me until I find them their proper placemat. I mean placement. *Ahem!* Darn autocorrect!" ;)

Latest posts

Back