lazy rabbits won't breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n&k wabbits

Reaction score
We have 3 bucks. The 2 NZW bucks are 1 year old and the Californian is 1.5 years old. We breed every 2 weeks. we have been having constant litters between 9-14 with no problems. about 3 weeks ago all three bucks decided the had no interest in the does. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Were there any big changes around this time? Weather, cage moving, feed, etc?

Could be they're a bit short of Vitamins A and E. Some fresh dark leafy greens (parsley, carrot or beet tops, dandelions) may help for Vitamin A. A couple teaspoons of wheat germ or 5-6 drops of wheat germ oil should provide the Vitamin E. Supplement for two weeks or so. Naturally these things will only help if the problem is nutritional, but it's worth trying.

There's a few things you could try:

Vitamin E capsules opened up over their food
Apple Cider Vinegar in their water
14-16 hours of light a day
Make sure they're in adequate weight & condition. If they're molting it could interfere with it some too.

Qadoshyah

The temp rose about 20 degrees(into the 40's), no cage movement, they get 17 hours of light each day( lights on automatic timers),same feed we have been feeding for over a year( local feed mill), automatic water lines. rabbit weight is ok. Tried to cross a NZW doe with a NZW buck today. Buck was not interested. The doe mounted the buck several times and the buck finally ran and hid in the corner of his cage. Thanks for the help.

I don't know much, I am a total newbie, but in a situation where all the bucks lose interest at the same time, you would first think enviromental, then nutritional/water quality, then my next guess would be pest/disease related...

I hear rabbits get STD's, or are there any other things that might be related to that? Something that makes breeding painful, uncomfortable, or makes the buck think the doe is unreceptive? How long have you had a closed herd? Hopefully someone with more experience could offer some insight.

Latest posts

Back