Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put manure [or cardboard, or wood chips] in a large "baking bag" then into the pressure cooker with a inch of water in the bottom, [leave the spacer in the bottom of the cooker], cook at 15 lbs for 45 min, --- after "medium" is all cool, poke holes in the bag and "inoculate" with your choice of mushroom spawn, or spores, put the bag in an environment suitable for the variety you are growing, and wait. -then when the mushrooms have colonized the bag, [a bunch of fibers inside the bag,] make a slit in the top of the bag so the fruit will have a place to grow out of the bag. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 am __________ <br /><br /> and-- make sure the " medium" you use is damp , but not soggy before you pressure cook...

I do have shrooms growing out of my compost but have yet been able to identify them. Not a big deal since I have several logs with reichi and shiitake mushrooms in the backyard.

michaels4gardens":38l4iqwr said:
put manure [or cardboard, or wood chips] in a large "baking bag" then into the pressure cooker with a inch of water in the bottom, [leave the spacer in the bottom of the cooker], cook at 15 lbs for 45 min, --- after "medium" is all cool, poke holes in the bag and "inoculate" with your choice of mushroom spawn, or spores, put the bag in an environment suitable for the variety you are growing, and wait. -then when the mushrooms have colonized the bag, [a bunch of fibers inside the bag,] make a slit in the top of the bag so the fruit will have a place to grow out of the bag.

__________ Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 am __________

and-- make sure the " medium" you use is damp , but not soggy before you pressure cook...

OK, MUST try this this year.

I have one of those huge All American brand pressure canners to use, so no excuse there.

I couldn't click :thankyou: enough times to express how I feel about that set of instructions. :D

Zass":1ikj82p6 said:
I'm imagining some kind of bunny poo kiln now.
Getting compost sterile just seems so...ewww... :sick:
The spore plugs that go into hardwood logs are looking like a less fuss option.
I have LOTS of downed hardwood logs and branches I could work with, with no cooking of compost required!

A solar oven would work nicely and I understand they can be made pretty cheaply. We're wanting to make one for wax processing purposes. :D

Zass":25x0z1oq said:
It says to sterilize the compost with a microwave, but I bet I could get by with placing the composted rabbit manure in yard-sale baking pans and cooking it. Then use those pans as my growing trays and stack them on a shelf in my cold room.

Or, you could make a solar oven and cook it in the sun. Then...no stinky in the house. Cooked earth is FOUL. Stinks up the whole house. ;) I highly recommend you sterilize outside. ;)

Latest posts

Back