Breed Suggestion~ for Young Breeder to Start On

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
HI!

We are just getting into breeding rabbits (I always feel like that is gonna get me flamed LOL too many years in dogs!)... but anyway, yes, we are.
I have Flemish Giants and plan to breed some meat mutts as well, so I am actively involved/ leading, when I say I am looking for breed suggestions for my daughter.
She is turning 10. She is an animal lover and has full responsibility now for dogs in the home and very involved with the bunnies.
She is also homeschooled, so she has time to pursue this (and she has Asperger's so she knows more about colour genetics than I do and I ask her what I need to do in a pinch because she reads and remembers everything LOl).

She has her own tastes, for sure, but I'd like some suggestions.
We live in Northern Ontario where there are not a lot of pet breed rabbits, so we need something fairly mainstream for the general public.
We don't plan to show (location).
I want something that she can handle (she can't handle my FGs!), not a wool breed, with lots of cute factor and a steady temperament for children.
Lot of colours is a bonus.
We have long cold winters~ our rabbitry building is in progress, and they will be housed there, but hardiness does come in to play.

Also nothing that comes with any complications for birthing etc (ie prone to singletons or other issues)~ that may come from small size etc.

Too much to ask?
Or do you know the perfect breed?
(We are looking at Holland Lops but I know there may be some gems we don't know about!)

Thanks!
Lori

What about mini lops? They are a bit larger than hollands, but still on the small side. No dwarf genes. They are fluffy, have a good reputation for being docile, and are incredibly popular at youth 4-H shows here.

Zass":21lgzbjn said:
What about mini lops? They are a bit larger than hollands, but still on the small side. No dwarf genes. They are fluffy, have a good reputation for being docile, and are incredibly popular at youth 4-H shows here.

I was going to suggest mini lops as well. Of course, I'm a bit biased. ;) :roll:

Biased views accepted!
See, I assumed mini lops were smaller~ silly me! :pancake:
We'll look into them, I think we should probably avoid the super teeny tinies!

L

Edited to ADD: Do you know if the Mini Lop in Canada is the American version (5-6 lbs) or the UK Mini which is the same size as the Holland? confusing!

TF3":3pt9q9z3 said:
Edited to ADD: Do you know if the Mini Lop in Canada is the American version (5-6 lbs) or the UK Mini which is the same size as the Holland? confusing!

Hmm... that I'm not sure of. You can always contact a breeder and ask how big they get. That will tell you. :)

TF3":prrbip48 said:
Biased views accepted!
See, I assumed mini lops were smaller~ silly me! :pancake:
We'll look into them, I think we should probably avoid the super teeny tinies!

L

Hmm, curious.
I believe Canada follows the American ARBA breeds.

Yup - most shows and breed clubs here follow ARBA rules so Mini Lops are 4 to 6.5 pounds and are not equivalent to Miniature Lops in the UK which are comparable to ARBAs Holland Lops :)

Most of the small breeds carry dwarf genes and you'll get 25% peanuts (which always die) if you breed two dwarf carriers together but if you keep the false dwarfs as breeding does and a true dwarf buck you won't get any peanuts.

Not all Holland or Netherland bloodlines have small litters or birthing difficulties but you really need to research your breeder to find out if their lines are prone to these issues

I love my mini lops and I have crossed my bucks to my American Chinchillas to improve disease resistance and reduce their size but surprisingly not their growth rate :mrgreen:

Dutch are good except there is some difficulty with getting specific markings that you don't have with solid colors. The mismarks do often sell well as pets. I thought there were 3 dutch genes but I can't find that article. This one lightly covers the effects of 2 dutch genes while discussing the genetics of the hotot http://www.amysrabbitranch.com/Color&Ge ... 0Hotot.pdf Which hotot are also an option if they are in your area but I'd hate to try to keep an all white rabbit clean for a show. I had some himalayan netherlands that were always pee stained.

Mini rex are hit or miss. I had some great, sweet mini rex and then there was demon rabbit and her spawn. Netherlands have a lot of bad out there you have to sort through to find the good. Hollands are a little better but have some of the same genetic and birthing problems. Sometimes you can actually find netherlands that come out the right size for show but do not produce peanuts or max factor no matter what you breed together. It's just really hard to find and some breeders will purposely breed both gene problems in because they think it makes a better type over the healthier netherlands even if the size is no different. The 2 mini lops I had were good for the most part. They were bigger than expected for something with the word mini and very fluffy. While they were good with people one of the does instantly attacked my buck when I attempted to breed them. She latched on to his scrotum. Does do seem to know about castrating a buck they don't like. It's happened when people have left together rabbits they shouldn't have. I didn't know what all was between her teeth so I didn't want to pull and tried to jam my finger in between her jaws. Her mouth finally opened but my finger slipped and went between her front teeth before she locked them down again. Blood followed for a couple hours. There is a risk with any breed and that's my limited experience with mini lops.

Some of the bigger breeds are actually easier to handle. My champagne d'argent were big floppy dogs. You just need to be able to lift up to 9lbs in any manner you find that doesn't hurt the rabbit. I could have done that as a kid but I lived on a farm and carried 50lb feed sacks around. Champagnes care so little about being disturbed and handled that I sometimes worried they were ill. Mine came from a group of people breeding them in wisconsin and minnesota. You just don't get as many colors in the big rabbits and they don't sell as well for pets because people don't realize what they can be like. Standard chinchillas are another smaller rabbit but again only 1 recognized color and typical pet buyers may still think they are too big despite being comparable to a mini lop. The lop ears and fluffiness of a mini lop probably contributes to them being thought of as a good pet rabbit over similar sized rabbits. How easy the argent and chinchilla breeds are to find depends on your area.

POLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.. :) one of my favourite breed of rabbits. :)

10 years old, knows genetics, needs a smaller breed. Steady temperaments.

Polish.

They fit the bill.
Good breeders of them here in Ontario.

Can market them as dwarf breeds. Smaller litter size so don't have to worry about being overrun with an overstock. Good mothers.

Come in basic colours of brown, black, white, blue. (yes I know not using the official terms). but they are a basic small rabbit that make for good pets and easy to handle breeders.

Zass":2yj7tue3 said:
Syberchick70":2yj7tue3 said:
Zass":2yj7tue3 said:
I was going to suggest mini lops as well. Of course, I'm a bit biased. ;) :roll:

Me too! They are THE BEST for smaller kids. They are so stinkin adorable, and, like Zass said they're SUPER docile. They are super lazy. Mine aren't necessarily fans of being picked up, but once you're holding them, they are like bunny versions of teddy bears. I love they're cuddly personality and willingness to just sit there. I'm getting a new doe next weekend. I named her Hazel Grace Lancaster. She's a chestnut. Super cute

Thank you all!
So much good info!

We are going to give Hollands a whirl as we were able to find good stock.
Polish sound worth a second look though! We'll see how we go.

I was reading about the dwarf gene so I'll see what I can find out from the breeder to help us make good choices.

Lori

I have to chime in for Mini Lops too. We have had such a positive experience with raising them thus far. I have 3 daughters that all really enjoy them. Customers have loved them as pets.

Back