How do you prepare a rabbit? (post butchering)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3861

Reaction score
So, I finally killed my first batch of rabbits. There were 4 in total with 1 being the aggressive doe. Thus far my neighbor and I have only eaten 1, the rest have gone into the freezer. The end result from that initial taste was a very chewy meat that was kind of unappealing because of that. is the chewiness normal or can I prevent it?

now the method I used for storing the rabbits is pretty simple. I butchered each animal and placed each carcass in a tub of cold water. After I butchered all 4 I went inside, cut the animals into different sections and wrapped each section in wax paper. So hind legs went with hind legs, ribs with ribs, etc. At that point all but the one we ate went right into the freezer.

The rabbit we ate was cooked with 2 methods. The larger chunk s were fried on low to medium heat in butter and sprinkled with a bunch of spices. The smaller pieces, like the ribs and bacon, I baked in the oven for 10 minutes, flipped and then continued baking for another two minutes at 225 degrees.

You need to allow the meat to "rest" for several days so it can go though rigor. Depending on the temperature of your refrigerator, this can be anywhere from 2 days to a week.

The rabbit that you froze will go through a partial rigor. It should not be as chewy as the one you ate immediately, but will be more so than those allowed to pass through the entire rigor stages in a chilled (not frozen) state.

If you plan to eat a rabbit the day you butcher it, you need to be prepared to get it cooking quickly. Rinse in tepid water, not cold, and then put directly into a preheated oven, on the barbecue, or into a pot of hot water.

We learned the rigor lesson the hard way--and that you needed not to cook with slow heat when cooking them right away. What I've wondered is how others handle the carcass while waiting for rigor to commence and then pass. So far we've left the whole cleaned carcasses in a large pot of salted water for nearly a week. Then we've cut them up as we want for cooking or freezing. They seem easier to cut up after rigor, firmer than just butchered, but not hard. Do others leave them in water during that time? cut them up before rigor starts?

I put the cleaned carcass in a bag in the refrigerator for three or four days. Then vacuum seal and freeze. If I want to cut them up for sorted parts I do that after the resting time..

Rainey":19huacpp said:
Do others leave them in water during that time? cut them up before rigor starts?

I rinse mine and then seal in zippered bags. I used to put them in a pot of water too, but they take up a lot less space in bags and you can either stack them up or squeeze them in between other things depending how full (or not) your refrigerator is.

I also prefer to quarter them after the resting period. The meat is firmer when cold, and you get much cleaner cuts than if you do it just after they are killed.

Zass":2jhbf10n said:
Like others, I let mine rest for 3-4 days before freezing, grinding or cooking.

That article that Dood referenced above said that aging isn't necessary when you grind the meat.

MamaSheepdog":1zead70c said:
Zass":1zead70c said:
Like others, I let mine rest for 3-4 days before freezing, grinding or cooking.

That article that Dood referenced above said that aging isn't necessary when you grind the meat.

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't age venison or goat before grinding. I've just made a habit out of aging the rabbits before doing anything else with em.

Zass":18gae52r said:
Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess... but you would think that the ground meat would still be a little tougher. :?

So! :p

You have now been nominated for a project, since I don't have a grinder. :twisted:

Grind one up immediately, and then do another after aging.

Package samples of each in an insulated carton with plenty of dry ice, and send to MamaSheepdog for a comprehensive tenderness evaluation.

No? :(

Fine, then. :angry:

Eat it yourself, but report back to RT with your findings. :gettowork:

Yes Ma'am :yes:
I happen to have 17 fryers and one young buck in need of processing this weekend. I can have my results by this time next week.

:hmm:
So, should I make meatballs? ..cheeseburgers? ..tacos? ..breakfast sausage?

Excellent! (insert avid-rubbing-hands-together smiley here)

I vote for breakfast sausage. I'll bring the duck eggs and we can have brunch together. :fryegg:

If you want to invite me to dinner as well, let's have meatballs.

If you want to use the meat asap, brine it in 1 gal water 1 cup rock salt or pickling salt, for a day,[or at least 2 hrs for some tenderizing ] it will be tender, if you have a older rabbit ,-brine for 3 days in the frig, - brining will make it all tender. I brine all of my home raised meat, it makes it all very tender, even older roosters and rabbits, [even if I am going to bottle it].

michaels4gardens":11ag9chc said:
If you want to use the meat asap, brine it in 1 gal water 1 cup rock salt or pickling salt, for a day,[or at least 2 hrs for some tenderizing ] it will be tender, if you have a older rabbit ,-brine for 3 days in the frig, - brining will make it all tender. I brine all of my home raised meat, it makes it all very tender, even older roosters and rabbits, [even if I am going to bottle it].

Would this work after I have defrosted this batch? If I have to I will ear the chewy critters, but I would prefer they be tender. Wounder if the chewyness will be as noticeable in shredded or chopped form within spaghetti or a casserole.

mcv1986":2zvl0jrk said:
Would this work after I have defrosted this batch?

I'd try it- it certainly can't hurt, and may help.

mcv1986":2zvl0jrk said:
Wonder if the chewyness will be as noticeable in shredded or chopped form within spaghetti or a casserole.

Nope. Shredded works great.

I cook older rabbits (which are similar in texture to what you are experiencing) in one of two ways; wrapped in foil and baked at about 250 to 275 for three or more hours, or gently simmered in water. The meat will just fall off of the bones with either method.

I would think you can let it rest in the frige after defrost until rigor has past...crock pot also works well for an older rabbit..8 hours on low or 4 on high add a little water about half cup.

mcv1986":3id24q87 said:
michaels4gardens":3id24q87 said:

Would this work after I have defrosted this batch? If I have to I will ear the chewy critters, but I would prefer they be tender. Wounder if the chewyness will be as noticeable in shredded or chopped form within spaghetti or a casserole.

yes it works just fine

MamaSheepdog":2tidfz0e said:
Excellent! (insert avid-rubbing-hands-together smiley here)

I vote for breakfast sausage. I'll bring the duck eggs and we can have brunch together. :fryegg:

If you want to invite me to dinner as well, let's have meatballs.

Belated results of the experiment.

My family detected no difference between ground rested sausage and ground same-day rabbit sausage. We did, however, notice that the sausage was definitely less enjoyable without any duck eggs. :?

Latest posts

Back