getting my first rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tt514tt514

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I've decided to add a new animal to my family (just me) after my cockatiel passed away earlier last year. I have 2 hamster, Pip and Giselle, here in Chicago living with me. I'm currently a graduate student and a therapist in training.

I've been eyeing these two rabbits that I saw, one was a holland lop and one was a dutch. The holland lop was very laid back and the dutch approached me instantly and then later the holland lop also came and they were cuddling near the corner of the cage that I was in. I'm so torn since I think I love the dutch a little bit more but I've been looking at some information online and most people said that holland lop are the most cuddly rabbit breed and the dutch isn't. I'm really looking for a calmer laid back rabbit to chill with me and let me cuddle with them ideally. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience and suggestion regarding these two breeds. Another quick question, I'm wondering if the living world XL cage would be sufficient when they are full grown considering having outside of the cage time for a few hours a day. Thanks!

Tim

Like any animal, temperament is not always in sync with the breed. There are those who have had psychotic Silver Foxes and some who had really nice ones. There are gentle Rottweiliers and terror teacup Poodles.

tt514tt514":2zxhktla said:
The holland lop was very laid back and the dutch approached me instantly and then later the holland lop also came and they were cuddling near the corner of the cage that I was in.

I hope you get out of the cage soon. :lol:

I'm not familiar with that cage, but I like at least a 30x30, for a single rabbit, to give them some hopping room... but then my bunnies are spoiled. I built condos for them. :roll:

Dutch can be very loving. I have a Dutch doe who is just a total doll.

Holland lops are not so much known for their personality as mini lops are. Mini lops are a little bigger. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:49 pm __________ <br /><br />
EnglishSpot":25vcd0yb said:
tt514tt514":25vcd0yb said:
The holland lop was very laid back and the dutch approached me instantly and then later the holland lop also came and they were cuddling near the corner of the cage that I was in.

I hope you get out of the cage soon. :lol:

Teehee

There were so many bunnies!!! I liked the corner and I would never come out of that corner o.o

tt514tt514":2jmgkum9 said:
I have 2 hamster, Pip and Giselle, here in Chicago living with me.

You like 'Enchanted', too, dontcha? :p

Welcome to RT! :p

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Galadriel":32e0g26s said:
tt514tt514":32e0g26s said:
I have 2 hamster, Pip and Giselle, here in Chicago living with me.

You like 'Enchanted', too, dontcha? :p

Welcome to RT! :p

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:
Yes!!!!! Pip is a syrian hamster and he's huge personality with a short name and Giselle has a small body but a diva attitude.

Grown rabbits of any breed can have a bit of attitude. Not many turn out to be really cuddly. They can be sweet and friendly but like to interact on their own terms and not so much to be picked up a lot. One of mine will spend hours on your pillow or top of the furniture above your head while you pet him and watch tv but he turns all sharp toenails and flailing feet when you try to hold him on your lap for very long. You can pet him, poke him, and play with his ears all you want so long as he gets to lay in his spot. I find most have their own little quirks like that.

Hollands like Netherland dwarf can suffer from poor temperament sometimes due to breeders ignoring it for the tiny size, perfect head, and color. They are hard breeds to perfect with usually small litters, lots of losses to stuck kits, and multiple lethal genetic combos. Dutch tend to be a little more predictable but can also fall in the trap of breeders concentrating on marking quality to the point temperament suffers. Really you need to question the breeder about their goals and how much they care about temperament. Although most will probably lie if they don't consider temperament at all but those that do care about it will have plenty more to say.

If you are talking about the living world deluxe xlarge size it is a bit short of 8sq ft so would be fine for a small breed rabbit. For quality I prefer the marchioro brand but it's reflected in the price. I only have a whole bunch of them because they were on sale at a place I get extra discounts.

One more quick question, I'm wondering if i should feed my bunny alfalfa hay and based pellet...if i do, what should i start switching to timothy hay and based pellet. I'm going to the vet to get Gus neutered so I will probably ask the vet then but you can never fully trust a vet i always feel like :p

Alfalfa shouldn't be fed to rabbits except in very small amounts. If you have a lactating doe, you might give her a bit more.
That's my opinion, others may agree or disagree.
Timothy hay must have something special about it that makes it good for rabbits as it is available in every pet store in the country. It costs around $8 for a few ounces. I pay $3 or 2 dozen eggs for a 50# bale of mixed grass and clover hay.

DBA":v30xfvhy said:
Alfalfa shouldn't be fed to rabbits except in very small amounts. If you have a lactating doe, you might give her a bit more.
That's my opinion, others may agree or disagree.
Timothy hay must have something special about it that makes it good for rabbits as it is available in every pet store in the country. It costs around $8 for a few ounces. I pay $3 or 2 dozen eggs for a 50# bale of mixed grass and clover hay.
I was wondering because my bunny is around 1 month old and i ready something about feeding alfalfa based pellets for any bunnies below 4 months

Latest posts

Back