weeding with Ducks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been running an experiment weeding the Garlic with ducks, as it is just too much for My daughter and I [mostly her] to keep up with, and now that it is expanding -something must change, so-- the only options I could think of were- weeding geese , or ducks, [and geese are a pain] and khaki Campbell ducks lay good eggs- or selective herbicide [and I hate chemicals, and have done everything organically ] - so-- the duck experiment began- I fenced off a section of the garic field and put our 8 ducks in it, and monitored them to see what they ate and how much garlic they ate, --- The ducks ate very little garlic, and lots of weeds, almost all of the weed varieties ,-but they need water close as they don't want to eat much before they want to "wash it down" - I noticed that when the sprinklers were on they ate a lot more weeds further out in the field when they were wet, so- I will have to think about that one as water is scarce here and we have watering days about every 2 weeks,[for farmers, not house gardens] -but I might be able to turn it on for just a few min in the am to wet the weeds and then turn it off. But- my garlic patch is a little too big to get by calling it a "house, or kitchen garden"-- any way I now have more duck eggs in the incubator.....

I help a friend of mine take care of 4 acres of garlic. I know you said you don't like to use chemicals but the only way we can keep up with that many weeds is to use Buctril on it. Works on just about all broadleafs and doesn't hurt the garlic at all.

It used for control of broadleaf weeds infesting corn (field and pop), sorghum (grain and forage), wheat, barley, oats, rye, triticale, alfalfa (seedling), flax, onions (dry bulb), garlic, mint (established pepper mint and spearmint)

Other wise I guess it's quack quack time. :)

Wow, that sounds really neat. I've heard about duck eggs... never would have thought about using ducks for weeding. May end up being a future project. :)

Homer":124btmd3 said:
I help a friend of mine take care of 4 acres of garlic. I know you said you don't like to use chemicals but the only way we can keep up with that many weeds is to use Buctril on it. Works on just about all broadleafs and doesn't hurt the garlic at all.

It used for control of broadleaf weeds infesting corn (field and pop), sorghum (grain and forage), wheat, barley, oats, rye, triticale, alfalfa (seedling), flax, onions (dry bulb), garlic, mint (established pepper mint and spearmint)

Other wise I guess it's quack quack time. :)

A friend of mine uses Buctril also-- I am just stubborn, and want to find an organic way to deal with the weeds-- so -- we will see how all this works... [but my daughter and I weeding it all next year is out of the question], an acre is a lot of work, next crop we are planting a little over 2 acres...

__________ Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:34 pm __________

Miss M":124btmd3 said:
Wow, that sounds really neat. I've heard about duck eggs... never would have thought about using ducks for weeding. May end up being a future project. :)

last year they worked OK on carrots, beets, corn [after it was two foot high] and potatoes , as long as there are weeds to eat everything works well. when they run out of weeds it is time to move the ducks. [don't let them near your Kale or lettuce] I think the secret is having a lot of whatever you are growing so they loose interest after a few bites.

Every time I see the title of this page I misread it as "Wedding with Ducks" and I have to wonder if this will become another case for the supreme court. :lol:

coyotejoe":1llr13p0 said:
Every time I see the title of this page I misread it as "Wedding with Ducks" and I have to wonder if this will become another case for the supreme court. :lol:

Lol, same. I originally clicked the thread because of that, but using ducks to weed is a great idea!

Back