Crazy buck!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I recently purchased a buck, and have used him for the first time. He is unlike any buck I have had before. He knew what to do when I put a doe with him. For the first doe, piece of cake. She was receptive, job done in no time. Second doe: She wasn't willing. Every time he mounted her, he kept pulling fur out of her like crazy. Just grabbing mouthfulls and spitting it out constantly. Nothing was happening breeding wise, so I put the doe away. There was a LOT of fur on the cage floor, so I put it into a container for later use. I am glad that I did, because I needed to use it shortly after that for another doe's litter. It turned real cold...... I am new to NZW's. Is this characteristic to the breed, or just a fluke, or what? And should I keep him if he continues to do this? None of my other bucks (Mini Rex, Lionhead, etc) have ever done that to a doe. :shrug:

Some bucks are more aggressive breeders then others. My Wooly bucks were notorious for pulling the does wool out. My Mini Rex all through usually avid breeders don't pull fur but they do tend to bite their fur.

I like aggressive bucks.i would keep him.I dont leave my rabbits together more than a few hours anyway.

Yeah, if he is nice to you and doesn't harm the doe past some lost fur, you are ok

Yep, I agree. He's a keeper.

My older (but not old) buck has had one successful mating. It took a while, because he went to great lengths to butter Pearl up to mate with her. The next time I tried to mate him, he hardly even tried anything past buttering the girls up. He's too much of a gentleman. "Oh, you don't want to? Okay, that's alright, I'll just sit over here. Or maybe I'll lick you some more." :evil:

Thank goodness that one litter he produced gave me a buck that is no gentleman! Shay has nicknamed him, "Pinto the Barbarian." :mrgreen: He doesn't take no for an answer. The more resistant they are, the more fur they are missing by the time he is finished. But I get litters, and that's what I need! He doesn't hurt them at all, he just makes sure his job gets done! :)

arachyd":nkpx6l3d said:
ROFL! I love Pinto's name.
Hehe... it sure fits him well! A barbarian he is! :lol:

Sounds like Jessykah's got a barbarian, too!

Jessykah -- if you show your NZW does, then your buck depriving them of some of their fur could be a problem. Other than that, it'll just make them look a bit less polished. That isn't a concern of mine, since I don't show and I'm just breeding for meat.

On the bright side, it is possible that the doe that refused him may have been stimulated enough that she will be receptive in a couple of days. :) As long as you are positive that he was completely unsuccessful.

Yes he is a barbarian! lol I didn't have a name for him for a while, so my sister named him Psycho. No I don't show my rabbits. Wish I could, but there isn't any place around to do so. So they are just for meat and pets. So I guess Psycho is a keeper. He hasn't harmed me or the does yet...I witnessed a good breeding yesterday...hmmm I think after every time he breeds, I will be collecting extra fur for future nestboxes. Then I won't have to pluck it if the does don't have enough. :D I am glad that I now don't have to worry about it. I guess I have always just had gentlemen bucks.

Psycho... awesome! :lol: Pinto freaked me out the first time I put a doe with him, with his fur biting and pulling. I think there's a thread somewhere on here about it; I'm pretty sure I posted like you did. Hehehe

I would rather have an agressive buck than a lazy buck.we bought one we never did get babies out of.

Back