Spindles?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

As a person who is new to spinning; and honestly thought they weren't going to ever spin, I have jumped in with both feet looking at the many different tools needed. The list below is the topic I looked up and the items I looked up in it.

carding: hand vs. drum, blending board; needed or not, use dog brushes or buy specific brand

types of spindles: kick vs. suspended or supported, Turkish vs. Bobbin, Top whorl or bottom, the difference in spindles based on both culture and type of yarn wanted

whorls: various types of stone, plastic, metal, recycled, new, vintage

spinning wheel: needed or not, size needed differences based on culture

distaff: whether one is needed or not and which one is right for different types of yarn, differences based on culture, hand vs. Staff

I'm sitting here from under this pile of information; which I gathered from wikipedia, youtube, various instructables posts, various blogs, thousands of pintrest links, a few doctorate thesis's, all of which I have willingly subjected myself to. I sit here wondering why in the world I agreed to look up this information, (other then the fact of my bunny is sitting get there staring at me) and wondering how much of this list I can make using stuff I already have vs. what I have to go buy.

What I keep not seeing is anything that is specific to angora fiber (whether it be rabbit or sheep) other then starting out your spinning experience on angora fiber is going to be difficult due to the somewhat short length of the fibers.

If any of you can help in anyway, I would be grateful.

You'll only need hand cards if you're buying unprocessed wool (even unprocessed angora I wouldn't card, just spin it out of a handful). When I do card things, I use the dog slicker brushes, because hand cards/drum carders are so expensive. Although I think I've seen instructions for a DIY drum carder.
I've only ever used a drop spindle and a spinning wheel, although until I found the amazing person who is lending me their extra spinning wheel, I was considering getting a kick spindle, so that I could have both hands free for the wool.
I'm afraid I don't know much about different whorls, although I have a wooden whorl spindle that I'm in love with.
You don't need a spinning wheel, but they're much faster (and, in my opinion, easier to use), than drop spindles, in terms of the amount of yarn you're cranking out :).
I've been spinning for a while, and I still have no idea what a distaff is or what it's used for, so I don't think it's necessary :).
Angora might be a bit more difficult to spin, because of the slippery-ness of the fibers. I guess I don't really know, because I waited until I was pretty good to start spinning angora, because I felt it was a precious resource :)
Wool (especially raw wool, if you're willing to go through the ordeal of picking, washing, and carding it) is pretty cheap, if you want to practice.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks becky! A distaff is essentially a fiber holder. There are two main types, hand and staff. Hand distaff's look like batons and hold a limited amount. Staff distaff's are held in the hand, belt, or between the knees. Either distaff is used primarily when traveling and you want to bring your spinning with you. Most cultures, from what I've read, use a distaff with spinning when they are walking places; either to a job or market or relatives.

I think I will buy some other wool before trying the angora just for the sake of pactice.

Welcome to the world of spinning! :)

I haven't spun angora before, so I can't really tell you specifically what it's like to work with or how its difficulty would compare to other fibers. I do know that different people find different fibers to be more or less difficult to work with. So, since you have a fiber rabbit, it would probably be fine to try spinning angora and see how it goes, and it would also be fine to start with a different fiber instead. There's going to be a bit of a learning curve either way, so it's really up to you what you want to do. I don't really feel like I can give you very good advice on if you should try starting out on angora or not since I don't know anything about how you personally learn best. (And I'm apparently a bit of an odd learner, so my advice might not be worth that much to you anyway. ;) )

I wouldn't be scared by the staple length (the length of the fibers), though; you spin fibers with different staple lengths and different characteristics differently, but that doesn't necessarily mean that some staple lengths are more difficult to spin than others. It's more that you handle them differently, you spin them differently, what you're looking for, what it feels like, is different, so if you're trying to spin short fibers like you would long ones, or spin long fibers like you would short ones, you're going to have troubles. It takes a bit of time to give your hands and your eyes a chance to learn what to do with different fibers. So, there's always going to be an adjustment when working with new fibers, and a great opportunity to learn with each new fiber. :)

I've never heard of a distaff being used with angora before. I agree with Becky--you probably don't need it for angora. (Of course, after you've had some practice, you can feel free to try it out and tell us if you can get it to work. ;) )

If I were you, I would choose a fiber (whether you decide you want to use your angora, or start out with a different fiber), and get or make yourself a spindle or get yourself a spinning wheel, without worrying too much about what is the best equipment for you to use, and just start spinning. Any fiber, as a general rule, can be spun with any spindle or spinning wheel, if you try hard enough--just, some fiber-tool combinations are going to be better than others (sometimes much better). But, it is pretty much possible (emphasis on the word "possible") to spin any fiber with whatever tools you've got. And so, while it's a good idea to research so that you can get a smooth start and get a tool that's a reasonably good fit for your fiber, it's more important to just start spinning. It's up to you how much research you want to do before just jumping into it (and may vary depending on how you learn), but when it comes down to it, the most important part is giving your hands, your fingers, a chance to learn what they're supposed to do.

People like you and me who got most of our introductory information about spinning online often find ourselves with our heads full of information on what the fibers are supposed to do, how they're supposed to behave, what we're supposed to do. But our hands have to learn all of that, too. I know that when I started spinning, it was kind of frustrating that my head knew what to do, but my hands didn't yet. My hands had to learn how to look for a stable yarn, how much more twist to put into it if I was going to ply it than if I wasn't, how to control the diameter of the yarn--how to make it even and structurally sound! There's a lot that you have to learn through actually spinning that you can't learn no matter how much research you do, even though research can give you a good push in the right direction and help you troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

One advantage of starting with spindles, is that when you start out, you aren't going to have a very clear idea of what tools are going to be the best fit for you, your fiber, and what yarns you want to spin with it. Most of us can buy or make ourselves a spindle much more economically than we could buy a spinning wheel. That would give you a chance for your hands and your fingers to learn the physics behind the yarn you're trying to spin, how your tool interacts with the fiber, and all those important things that could help you make more informed decisions if you decide to put more money into nicer tools later. But starting with a spinning wheel is a perfectly acceptable decision too--just make sure you research before you buy to hopefully find one that will work well for you and your fibers and the sorts of yarns you would like to spin. ;) Spinning on a spindle and spinning on a wheel use very related skills, but they are different processes, and some people prefer one over the other while other people are quite happy to use both.

So, all that long post to say, Choose a fiber, and choose a tool, and just start spinning! ;)

Oh, and one note: I don't know if you ran into this in your research or not, but angora is a very warm fiber, much warmer than wool. For me personally, that means that when I get myself a fiber rabbit, I'm probably going to stick to spinning 100% angora at a laceweight or so, and blending it with another fiber if I want anything thicker than that. This will definitely vary depending on what you're wanting to do with your yarn, and what sort of weather you're wanting to wear the items you make in.

I do have a couple of Ravelry groups to recommend. (If you don't have a ravelry.com account, if I remember correctly from when I signed up, you have to request an invitation to the website, and wait for an invitation in your inbox, and then you can make your account. I've never heard of anyone having trouble getting an invitation--I expect it's more of a measure for preventing spam accounts than anything.)

There are a number of Ravelry groups that showed up when I searched for ones related to angora, but the only one I've looked at much is this one: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/angora-rabbits
(I don't belong to that group, but follow a couple of their forum threads. I actually found RT through that group. :) ) They don't seem to have much information specific to spinning with angora (but may be able to help you out or point you towards other people who can help you with that). I don't know if any of the other angora-related groups have that sort of information or not.

If you would be interested in making your own spindle, I would recommend this group: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/spindlecrafters
And especially their "Photos of your handmade spindles!" thread. It's really awesome to see some of the materials they've used to make their own spindles. :) (I've made spindles out of tinker toys before--the little person objected until I made her one too.)

There's a number of other good Ravelry groups that are wonderful resources, too. Seriously, I think I learned as much about spinning through Ravelry as I have outside of Ravelry. ;)

Anyway, I hope that helps (and that I didn't talk too long). :)

baefull.wolfbunnies":2vss9oby said:
Thanks becky! A distaff is essentially a fiber holder. There are two main types, hand and staff. Hand distaff's look like batons and hold a limited amount. Staff distaff's are held in the hand, belt, or between the knees. Either distaff is used primarily when traveling and you want to bring your spinning with you. Most cultures, from what I've read, use a distaff with spinning when they are walking places; either to a job or market or relatives.

I think I will buy some other wool before trying the angora just for the sake of pactice.
Interesting! I've always just spun as much as I can hold at one time, and kept the rest in a bag.

I'm not a distaff user either. I spin with what I can hold in my hand. I make rolags sometimes for the drop spindle, and drape them over my wrist. I prefer to spin from batts when I card (not Angora), which I tear into strips that either lay on my lap or hang over my hand. I know anyone who uses a distaff, wheels don't really come with them any more.

Keep it simple for the first time around. Once you develop a style, you may find you don't need a lot of stuff. I bought a drum carder, which I don't really need, since I like to comb most of my fiber, and also have a blending board. Or you might find you buy prepared fibers so you don't need any of that stuff, and dog combs and afro picks might be all you need.

Here's one Angora specific pages.
http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com/ ... fiber.html

I'm always puzzled when people say Angora is so short. Breed standard is 3 inches, which is about the same for Alpaca, Merino and most wools except the long wools. The average staple length of my rabbits is 5 inches.

I don't really have much to add to what everyone else has said except personal experience. I am a fairly new spinner myself. I learned on a top whorl drop spindle and I also have a turkish spindle and a spinning wheel. I gravitate more to the wheel now as I have some upper back/shoulder injuries that sometimes flare up when I use my spindles. I only spin at home so I haven't done any research on distaffs, but I don't really think you need one (personal opinion).

The wonderful thing about learning to spin angora from your own bunny is that you have an endless supply of fibre to learn on, so dive in and don't worry about making "mistakes"!! My first spin of angora is pretty thick and lumpy in spots, but it will get better and I already have a whole second bunny-full of fibre waiting for my second attempt!

The best advice I can give once you've decided on your equipment is to make time (15 minutes is enough) every day to practice. That made all the difference for me (and I should take my own advice and get back to it!). I saw you joined Ravelry and the Angora Rabbits group. There are a lot of good spinning groups on there that are chockful of great teachers!

Kat872":3iluvdi0 said:
I saw you joined Ravelry and the Angora Rabbits group.

Yeah I did! :D did you also see how many patterns I've queued since joining?? :oops: At last count I had roughly 17 pages worth of patterns. I have re-fallen in love with crochet.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Latest posts

Back