Housing angoras outdoors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
Out of curiosity for future endeavors...

How well do angoras do in outdoor housing? I'd like to, at some point in the distant future, build a large outdoor bunny hotel for angoras. I've read mixed reviews on their hardiness, however. How well would they fare outdoors when the temperature ranges from -15F (or less) to 85F (or more) from winter to summer? Or should I plan on keeping them in a more temperature controlled environment?

Depends on the stock you get, really.

I have rabbits from both indoor and outdoor lines, and all my rabbits are outdoors. The indoor lines are more frail to the cold, and don't seem to get as dense a coat in winter as my outdoor lines. But, they are less bothered by the heat than the outdoor lines. My outdoor lines melt when it gets above 75F, so in periods of prolonged heat over 80, I shear everyone and place frozen water bottles in the cages for them. It helps all my cages are in shade, too. But, you give my outdoor line -17f, and they're my only rabbits that are bouncing around like it's 50 out.

I also notice that kits from my indoor lines that are raised outside tend to be just as hardy as my original outdoor lines, so that might be helpful info too.

My Angoras live in a tarp wrapped dog kennel all winter. Mild this year, not getting more than -10F. No issues. They live there in the summer also, but I raise the wall tarps, and schedule wool harvest for late July. I have an oil filled electric radiator in the tarp-shed that I put on low near the cages with kits, newly shorn or Americans, as needs be.
DSC03142-comp.JPG

Our FA see winter temps to 40 below and summer temps to 90. They are housed in a large unheated hoop barn. They do very well away from damp, away from wind and away from direct light. Our hoopbarn has a cover that lets in good filtered light. In 90 degrees, they need to be shaded and may need an iced water bottle in their pens. My FA seem to be pretty hardy.

Mine are in barn, no climate control. Winter at negative temps never seems to be a problem for them. I sheared in October and February. In the summer there are lots of fans on for everyone anytime the weather goes above 80F. Mine ignore the water bottles or eat them. I usually shear everyone after the May show. heat is more of a threat than cold. Two winters ago I left two out in cages under tarps in the grow out area.

Latest posts

Back