Bass Universal Sani-Nest any experience with?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any one used the sani-nest from bass as an in floor nest box, and if so how does it work for you and at what age do the kits make it out and what size bunnies are they? I know some folks use them as a removable but these ar fixed. We are going to have our first litter in one some time around the 3/21/15. We are interested in seeing if it keeps the kits in longer because of the high sides they would have to clear to get out and how it affects them. Hoping that since the doe will be going down in to make her nest she doesn't kick as much nest stuffing out, and she isn't bothered as much by the kits trying to nurse as early as a 4 or 5 inch hop would be. We have a pick of what it looks like with it. Any personal experiences with it would be great to hear. Thanks

Attachments

• 3-1-15 012.jpg
    3-1-15 012.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,856
Well, I'm going to try them my first time out.
Since they're permanently installed, I was wondering about placement. My two FW doe's 36x30 cages will be back to back with an inch or two between them. Will they care if another doe is separated, but nesting only a few inches away? Or should I put them at opposite ends? ...Am I overthinking things? :roll:
nest%20boxes.png

I use the Sani-nests, but not mounted underneath the cages. I think Comet used them as you described, but my search queries found no results.

Ours will be your first drawing together to the front of the cage since they open for easy access and we use a rectangle piece of corogated plastic to seperate the cages as seen in our pic. Just the way we are doing it.

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:03 am --

The nest box is mounted to the left edge and a floor spreader as bass calls it was installed down the inside right edge for support (and it did add support :)) The doe seems to like it, we added the cardboard insert and just some kiln dried aspen chips to the bottom to see what she would do. Since her due date is the 21st we didn't want to add the hay or straw yet she went in scratched around a bit put a bare spot in the middle and has not touched it since. We will install the next one this weekend on another cage with a doe due at the same date.

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 am --

You can see the floor support better here <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 am -- <br /><br /> Mommasheepdog, Thanks for trying to find it.

Attachments

• Sani-nest 002.jpg
    Sani-nest 002.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,818
  • Sani-nest 003.jpg
    Sani-nest 003.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,818
Silver Cloud":1hukxymq said:
Ours will be your first drawing together to the front of the cage since they open for easy access and we use a rectangle piece of corogated plastic to seperate the cages as seen in our pic. Just the way we are doing it.

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:03 am --

The nest box is mounted to the left edge and a floor spreader as bass calls it was installed down the inside right edge for support (and it did add support :)) The doe seems to like it, we added the cardboard insert and just some kiln dried aspen chips to the bottom to see what she would do. Since her due date is the 21st we didn't want to add the hay or straw yet she went in scratched around a bit put a bare spot in the middle and has not touched it since. We will install the next one this weekend on another cage with a doe due at the same date.

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 am --

You can see the floor support better here

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 am --

Mommasheepdog, Thanks for trying to find it.
Thanks, both. Good pictures, Silver Cloud.
Mama looks like she's got it figured out. It will be interesting to see how they do.
The plan is to pick up my trio on the 22nd... If my cages and stuff from Bass get here in time . I just saw that they're running on a 7-10 day lead time. :|

a rabbit breeder friend has built in nestboxes like that.

He likes them and yet doesn't.

Issues:
1. keeps the kits in nicely.
2. some does poop in them
3. some like to sit in them and they are big enough to do so comfortably...and he loses kits over it.
4. he is currently trying to figure out a way to block off access to it OR have them ONLY be young maternity cages but he doesn't have a lot of room to move does around all the time.

Not all herds are the same. and some of his does work well with them, but others.. my word... he has really struggled this winter as his does are either lying on his litters or pooping/peeing on them. He has managed to raise one litter (out of eight attempts thus far this winter).

Thanks, Ladysown

So far this is going good and hope to keep it that way. Our doe goes in the opposite back corner always has so far so good (fingers crossed). Here is a pic of the door open on ours, We wanted to see how it worked early so I used the insert that came with it and cut a paper box down to fit just for the test.

-- Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 am --

1 shot of it <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 am -- <br /><br /> Pictures with door open to show the easy access to it and why you want it easy to get too. The edges of the box hold the cardboard liner up so it can't collapse on the nest and has to be slid in from the open door.

Attachments

• Sani-nest 010.jpg
    Sani-nest 010.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,807
  • Sani-nest 012.jpg
    Sani-nest 012.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,807
Silver Cloud":3d0bsa69 said:
karebru, Please let me know how it goes for you and I will do the same. Keep in mind that you can use a heated resting pad in it also. I know Florida doesn't get real cold but figured I would throw that out there. Here is a link to one, I checked it and they fit just fine just in case. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Resting-Sm ... bit+heater
Will do. ;)
I imagine heat will be my concern. We had about 2 hours at just barely freezing one morning a couple of weeks ago. This week, we're pushing 90 with lows in the mid 60s. (Not trying to rub it in. I grew up northwest of Chicago.) Upper 90s is our norm in the summer. 100+ isn't unusual inland where I am. It's one of the many things I'm going to try to remember to ask my supplier about when I get my bunnies. He gets just as hot.

Tinks3262015.jpg
The sani-nest has been setup as a working nest box since 3/5/15 and wanted to show a picture of what it looks like now since she had her kits on 3/24/15 and the abuse she put it through. There where 4 droppings that we removed the day before she kindled, she did tear the test box up a bit but we decided to use it anyway. We placed a heater under the box before the kindle just to make sure they could be warm enough. She is very careful going in to the box so far making sure where the kits are before entering. The box is of the size for a large breed so lots of room for her being a medium breed. She had 8 little ones, and they chose to go right to the bottom where the heater keeps them warm along with the rest of the group. I'm very happy so far, we have 2 in operation and they both working the same. The boxes work great for fitting the under the cardboard and make it so they can't chew the cord at all as seen in the picture. We will keep this updated as the kits grow and see how long they stay in the nest before comming out.

The sani-nest link: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cage+Acces ... fault.aspx

The heater: http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Resting-Sm ... mal+heater

-- Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am --

Here is the sani-nest pic. <br /><br /> -- Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm -- <br /><br /> 16 days old and still looking good in the sani-nest.

Attachments

• Sani-nest 4.jpg
    Sani-nest 4.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 1,747
  • Tink's 16 days old.jpg
    Tink's 16 days old.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,718
  • Caleby's 16 days old.jpg
    Caleby's 16 days old.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,718
Silver Cloud":yhpdxz0b said:
-- Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm --
16 days old and still looking good in the sani-nest.
Cool. :) <br /><br /> -- Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:22 pm -- <br /><br /> Here's an oldie but goodie thread... :roll:

Are you still using the Sani-nests, Silver Cloud?
I chickened out, removed my two, and patched the openings in the floors.
I've spent the summer gearing up for cooler weather, so I can breed my Silver Fox does for the first time.
I've decided to go the conventional route with nest boxes, at least for the first few litters.
Over the last few months, my girls had decided that the Sani-nests were good places to pee, and perfect to rest in. I covered the openings for a while, and the reactions was, "My pee spot is under here, somewhere."
Then Josie decided that her chew toys, hay cubes, treat bowl, two litter ice bottle, and anything else not bolted down belonged in there... Bombs away! :x

Latest posts

Back