Dandelion seeds, please!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

I think I'm going to have to look for plantain seeds. I have never seen a plantain here or in the city. Lots of wild violets...

I have bull thistle seeds to offer (Cirsium vulgare). Keep control of them, or everyone will hate you except your rabbits. :)

Miss M, I ordered my seeds from Baker's Creek. If they do well, I would be happy to send you some.

Syberchick70":131dpyix said:
:angry:
wamplercathy":131dpyix said:
akane":131dpyix said:
You can get a pound of dandelion seed online for like $400. :lol:

Sounds like I can make a fortune. :p :lol: :lol:

I'll undercut them and sell a pound for $350! What a bargain! :lol:
That's a lot of seed!! You could make a pillow out of a pound, lol

I've never seen plantain flower, so I don't understand how it can have seeds :?:

I'll have to pay closer attention I guess, if I can find any of it. Used to be all over the place. I think it's still plentiful in my grandparent's old place.

__________ Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 am __________

well, just looked it up. I HAVE seen plantain flower, many times, just forgot what it looks like
plantago_major_sinuata_01_p0_c457
<br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm __________ <br /><br />
Miss M":3smu0clc said:
I have bull thistle seeds to offer (Cirsium vulgare). Keep control of them, or everyone will hate you except your rabbits.

I think we have that thistle all over the garden space. It gets huge and has nasty stings. Rabbits eat that??? :shock:

Syberchick70":366b37we said:
Miss M":366b37we said:
I have bull thistle seeds to offer (Cirsium vulgare). Keep control of them, or everyone will hate you except your rabbits.

I think we have that thistle all over the garden space. It gets huge and has nasty stings. Rabbits eat that??? :shock:
If what you have is Cirsium vulgare, then yep, they eat it... spears and all. It doesn't "sting", so I'm not sure you have the same thing. It truly looks evil, covered in 2" spikes, and they love the stuff.

You remember Br'er Rabbit? "Please don't throw me in that briar patch!" ...when, naturally, that was exactly where he wanted to go. :lol:

You know how many hours my mom forced us to spend chopping those bull thistles down before they could seed. :evil: My grandpa was very bad at getting the pastures mowed on time and his tractor was made up of duct tape and bailing twine so no one else wanted to deal with it. For all I hated them growing up they are one of the few colorful flowers in Iowa. Most are small white or pale yellow unless you go somewhere meadow and wild flowers have purposely been planted. Bull thistles stand high with bright purple flowers so my akita is named after them. Azami is the cirsium genus in Japanese. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirsium

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing... they're all chopped down for winter, but they'll be back... horrid things :x They don't really sting I guess, but they stab the heck out of you if you try to pull them out. I'll double check when they come back up. Definitely sounds like bunny food if they are. They have deep roots.

akane":331d4czw said:
You know how many hours my mom forced us to spend chopping those bull thistles down before they could seed. :evil: My grandpa was very bad at getting the pastures mowed on time and his tractor was made up of duct tape and bailing twine so no one else wanted to deal with it. For all I hated them growing up they are one of the few colorful flowers in Iowa. Most are small white or pale yellow unless you go somewhere meadow and wild flowers have purposely been planted. Bull thistles stand high with bright purple flowers so my akita is named after them. Azami is the cirsium genus in Japanese. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirsium
Yeah, you definitely don't want to let them go to seed, unless you're going to net a single flower to harvest the seeds.

Syberchick70":331d4czw said:
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing... they're all chopped down for winter, but they'll be back... horrid things :x They don't really sting I guess, but they stab the heck out of you if you try to pull them out. I'll double check when they come back up. Definitely sounds like bunny food if they are. They have deep roots.
They're quite brutal! I understand one of their names is "spear thistle"... which fits them better than "bull thistle", in my opinion. There is no way to handle them without getting stabbed repeatedly, unless you wear leather gloves. Those actually tame them pretty well. For me, anyway.

I hear they are yummy if you fry them, I keep meaning to try them. Just mowed a bunch down before they turn into puff balls.

Latest posts

Back