How are rabbit hides processed commercially?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
As I am in the process of drying ALL my frozen hides right now I started to wonder how rabbit hides are processed commercially?

Any one know?

I am just guessing here but I doubt that they are done by hand. :roll:

Zass":a3u3l4xq said:
There are specialized machines designed to handle every step of the process.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tannery-machines.html

http://www.tantechservices.com/ourproducts.html

Some good photos of older, small shop scale machines here: http://www.peterpalms.com/dressingtanning/

So, is there a DIY option? Something I can cobble up? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:02 am __________ <br /><br /> Not for fleshing I mean, but for breaking? I have a great new method for fleshing but its the breaking I need help with, it takes me hours for just one hide. :roll:

Zass":10frlpo0 said:
I spotted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy2Da8uo5dU

I've heard of people converting old dryers into tumblers, but I've never actually seen one in use.

I wonder if the hides are put in dry or wet?

Looks like it does a good job. Have wondered about doing a dryer experiment but my wiring skills might not be good enough to turn off the heating element and the timer shut off.

I was under the impression that a 6 foot drop was required for effective leather breaking, making tumbling machines for home use of very limited value.

That other machine seems to...crush the leather and force it to move in a circular pattern while it's at it by pushing it against the curved side? It's a same I can't really see what is happening inside :(

alforddm":13nkgslb said:
I wonder if you could put a couple of roundish rocks in the dryer with the hides? Lol it would sure make a racket but might work.

I've heard of people using old shoes in place of rocks

I put 5 of the 6 hides in dry and the last one I put on about a tablespoon of watered down rabbit brains, all I had left.

It was enough to dampen the hide.

After turning the air tumble dry cycle on for about the millionth time, all 6 are pretty good but the one with the brains is GREAT!

It is soft and supple and really good.

Pity I used shoes that are in use, the hide side doesn't look as clean as when I hand stretch hides. :lol:

Tomorrow I will thaw out some heads for more brains and dampen down the other 5 hides and do them again tomorrow.

While the hides are NOT the quality of the ones I do one by one, by hand, they are really nice and sooooo much easier to do! :cool: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:53 pm __________ <br /><br /> Once they are all done I will fire up the smoker and smoke them all really well and see what we have then.

While they are fryer hides, so far the experiment is going really well!

cmfarm":34nxgs1z said:
What is the easiest, cheapest way to do it?

The simplest and cheapest way I know to produce a hair-on pelt would go:

1: Flesh
2: oil (brains, egg, mayo, oil soap, olive oil, neats foot, whatever. Different "oils" will produce different results)
3: dry + break(work soft) <- this is done in one step. Better to err on the side of starting to work a pelt too wet than trying to work one too dry.

Brained pelts are often smoked as a final step.

I can get a lot more complicated if you'd like a chemical method that has less chance of slip, more consistent results, and will produce leather that lasts forever.

__________ Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 pm __________

Basically there are other steps that can be added for various different purposes.
Salting helps prevent slippage and is a good way to store skins.
An acid pickle kills bacteria that causes slip, and prepares a pelt for tanning.
De-greasing is an absolutely necessary step for working with oily pelts, like raccoon.
A tanning agent can be a preservative like alum, or it can alter the proteins in a leather permanently such as with tannins(for making veg-tan leather, not fur) or syn tan agents.

All the real work is in the fleshing and breaking, and those two steps are unavoidable..

So far my "industrial" rabbit hide tanning project goes like this:

1) flesh hides really well (Fisk safety scissors work really well for this step :D )

2) stretch and dry hides

3) dampen dry hides down with a mix of 70/30, brains to water

4) tumble dampened hides in dryer set on AIR DRY and keep turning it on, and on, and on, for several hours.

5) (which I havnt done with the experiment hides yet) smoke hides, well away from heat of the fire

Today I am going to redo 5 of the hides I did yesterday with brains instead of just dry and then smoke them this weekend.

So far, I am liking the way this is turning out!

Thank ya'll for the step by step directions! I have 2 hides in the freezer and I would like to give it a go some time but am a little scared to try. It seems like everybody has a different way to do it.

cmfarm":36iuvl94 said:
Thank ya'll for the step by step directions! I have 2 hides in the freezer and I would like to give it a go some time but am a little scared to try. It seems like everybody has a different way to do it.

I read this somewhere..
There are as many different tanning methods as there are tanners.

Like rabbit raising, tanning has a learning curve of it own. Don't start on your favorite skins.

The worst thing that can happen is that bacteria will start to work on the epidermis on your skin, causing hair to fall out(in clumps or patches).

There are all sorts of things you can do to avoid or prevent that(some more expensive than others)...or you can just work really fast, to get the pelt dry and soft before it happens.

Not so hard to do with rabbit skins, since they are small and dry quickly.

I now have four finished hides. With just the dryer! :shock: My hands and arms and shoulders don't hurt and my pile of hides is a delight. :D

Two of the 6 hides are still a bit stiff so I will damp them down and do them again with the next batch. And I will cut a length of 2 by 4 into 5 inch pieces and use those instead of the shoes, my family have started hollering for their shoes back! :lol:

Tomorrow I will fire up the smoker and smoke the 4 finished hides.

I guess some processers must use a tumble type processer then?

Back