Fed vs. Unfed Kit Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":3as9i4qy said:
Eve with the fuzzy pix, I'd say those kits are fed. A couple of them look to have those very distended bellies that are so funny. :) Hopefully, the others will get some nice, big helpings, too. But as long as they look at least like that, they'll be fine. :D

Thanks, Miss M, that's reassuring. I think I've been confused by the use of the word wrinkled for the unfed kits--mostly at first they are wrinkled, even when the bellies are full. And they wriggle so much and their position really affects the belly bulge. But probably if they weren't fed, I wouldn't see the belly bulge even in flashes.
The photos weren't blurry but I had too many pixels and when I cut that down, they were blurry. Is there a way around that?

Rainey, I think when people use the word wrinkled to describe the tummies of unfed kits, what they really mean is flat and wrinkled or sunken and wrinkled. Those kits look to me like they have been fed, the second one especially. After a couple of days, you will feel more confident about judging how they are doing. :)

Thanks for the replies that helped me through a nervous weekend of wondering if they were getting enough to eat. This morning, almost 48 hours from kindling, Berwick had more milk or they were better at sucking because they came in with full bellies that even I had no doubts about. Maggie's descriptives "flat or sunken and wrinkled" were very helpful to me is seeing what to look for.

First litter ever, doe's first litter, born yesterday afternoon. To my untrained eye the kits still appear unfed. However they do have tiny black feces on them. Does that mean they have to have been fed since there would be no reason for them to go to the bathroom otherwise? Also, the feces are still on them, is the doe supposed to clean those off? Thanks for the help!

powellanimals":18jfkx6r said:
First litter ever, doe's first litter, born yesterday afternoon. To my untrained eye the kits still appear unfed. However they do have tiny black feces on them. Does that mean they have to have been fed since there would be no reason for them to go to the bathroom otherwise? Also, the feces are still on them, is the doe supposed to clean those off? Thanks for the help!

Pictures would be helpful if you can get them! :)

I believe they would have to have something in them to be able to go potty...
The doe is supposed to lick each bottom, so that they are able to urinate. If she isn't doing this, you will need to get a wet rag and gently wipe until they urinate. And wipe that feces off too! ;)

Easy Ears":27j1m0am said:
powellanimals":27j1m0am said:

Pictures would be helpful if you can get them! :)

I believe they would have to have something in them to be able to go potty...
The doe is supposed to lick each bottom, so that they are able to urinate. If she isn't doing this, you will need to get a wet rag and gently wipe until they urinate. And wipe that feces off too! ;)

I think I spoke too soon as just a few hours later they looked like they had full bellies and were clean. I don't think she fed them this evening yet but the babies are still warm and moving so hopefully she feeds them again tomorrow morning. Thank you for the help!

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. So, my bunny had two kits a little bit over 24 hours ago, I keep taking a look at them and only 1 appears to have the round belly the other has a slimmer belly similar to the ones in your pics. I did weigh them both after and there is a difference in weight between the two. When should I intervene? I don't want to wait til its too late and then it dies. Thanks!

If it's only been twenty-four hours, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. See how they look in the morning, not too early because does often nurse their kits just before sun-up.

It's impossible for me to judge how the second kit is doing. But here's a useful recent thread for you to read. There is also a ton of info on handfeeding in the stickies next to this one, should that become necessary. But I doubt it will be . . . with only two, the doe should have plenty of milk.
post321232.html#p321232

Be aware that occasionally a kit doesn't feed because it isn't viable. In such cases, nothing you can do will help. But at this point, there is no indication that this the problem with your kit.

Thanks for the reply! By morning it will have been about 48 hours since birth. I did happen to take a look at the thread that you referred to. About an hour and half ago I brought the momma bunny and kits in nest inside to an indoor pen, I held mom in my lap and had the husband assist the thin baby to nurse, he acted like he was starving. He would constantly go from nipple to nipple(not spending too long on any one), it sounded like he was getting something but not sure how much. His belly was a little fuller looking after but not by much. By the way... the momma was not happy with this method as she tried to kick her legs loose from my hands a few times. Will this method cause her to no longer want to nurse on her own or will she instinctively return to the nest when we are not present regardless? Thanks!

It's also quite common for kits to move from nipple to nipple at that young of an age

I have 8 day old kits. The smallest kit constantly hovers on the unfed side. He is growing, but he is smaller and skinnier than the other 4. I have flipped mama, but I don't think she is letting down milk for him. She is completely spastic and freaked out on her back. He never looks plump after letting him nurse. Should I supplement him with the formula recipe on here a couple times?

I suggest trying something else first. Momma's milk is absolutely the best thing for your runt, so consider removing the biggest kits for one feeding. Maybe leave one other with the runt to help him stay warm, and/or add a hot water bottle along one side of the nest box for that time. (A glass screw-cap wine or liquor bottle works great . . . pull a sock over it so the kit doesn't touch it directly and make sure he can inch away from it if he gets too hot.) Once the runt has taken his fill, you can return the other kits. Missing or delaying one meal will not hurt them and the extra milk may be enough to let the runt compete better with his siblings.

Formula - especially Homer's updated mix - can be a life-saver, but Momma's milk is best of all.
:good-luck:

We will be breeding our two does this weekend so this is definitely helpful! One of my does has been bred before and she’s a great mom, but I’m worried about my other doe since this will hopefully be her first year as a mother. Last year we tried to breed them but the male want fertile so she had to wait another year for babies. I’ll have to keep watch and make sure she is taking good care of them and feeding them! I’m a little worried about her but I think she’ll be all right. I’ve had good luck with all my does being wonderful mothers even in their first year so I hope it continues. The first year was the only year I had trouble. That was the year I had a doe that was so protective of her babies she bit my mother. We always watch our does since then but none of them have been that protective. I hope this doe is as good of a mother as her mom!

Hi I'm new to rabbit talk. I'm new to Netherland dwarfs. I've had my dwarfs about 7 months now. Had my 2 does have there first litter. First doe did not pull fur and not sure if she fed them. She is going to kindle again this coming Sunday. I'm hoping for better results. My second doe had a litter this past Friday had 3. 2 DOA 1 live but live kit died Monday. I was holding kit to mom because did not look like she fed it. This doe did pull hair and licked and cleaned kit. I found d kit dead Monday licked bloody from wait down. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Brenda I'm new to site not sure if I posted in right section. <br /><br /> -- Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 pm -- <br /><br /> Hi I'm new to rabbit talk. I'm new to Netherland dwarfs. I've had my dwarfs about 7 months now. Had my 2 does have there first litter. First doe did not pull fur and not sure if she fed them. She is going to kindle again this coming Sunday. I'm hoping for better results. My second doe had a litter this past Friday had 3. 2 DOA 1 live but live kit died Monday. I was holding kit to mom because did not look like she fed it. This doe did pull hair and licked and cleaned kit. I found d kit dead Monday licked bloody from wait down. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Brenda I'm new to site not sure if I posted in right section. :bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back