Fed vs. Unfed Kit Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to force nursing (flipping the doe).

I have found that with does who do not relax when flipped can be more easily force nursed on a towel in your lap.

Make some room between your legs and under the doe and put the kit(s) below her to nurse. :)

I have 4 kits they were born Monday morning and the mother died this morning.
I'm not sure what to do i have a homemade formula recipe that i have mixed up and gave them a feeding of already but it is hard and i'm not sure if i am doing it right.The babies look like the first kit in the second set of pics you have there but they are so much smaller..And the bathroom thing ..well i haven't been able to get them to do that after i fed them.

Any suggestions?

Tammy, what breed are your rabbits? The ones in the pictures are larger mutt rabbits, about 8-10 pounds when grown. If your rabbits are a small breed, the kits would be smaller too.

It is difficult to feed infant rabbits, but you will find lots of helpful advice in the two "stickies" I sent you by email. I'm glad to see that you have started a separate thread to try to get help for your baby buns.

In checking on our new Mini Lop kits yesterday and today I noticed yesterday that 3 of the 4 had really nice fat well fed tummies and one didn't. Today when I checked it was the same (3 plump, one not) except not the same 3. The one that had been thinner yesterday was nice and plump today.
Is this uncommon? Does it just mean that whichever one is a little thinner that round didn't get there as soon and will be fine, as long as it's not the same one each time?

WhWRabbitry":3dtg0axb said:
Is this uncommon? Does it just mean that whichever one is a little thinner that round didn't get there as soon and will be fine, as long as it's not the same one each time?
That's the way it seems to work out here, that as long as it's not the same one each time that didn't get as much as the others, it works out fine. :) It is good that you're keeping an eye on them.

I just wanted to share a picture of a little runty bun I've dubbed 'peewee'.
I discovered, on day 5, that it looked dehydrated and underfed, so I started doing a supplemental feeding with it during the day ('flipping' the doe). Momma has actually been pretty cooperative and I always let her clean little Peewee after the feeding.

Here is a picture comparison from Day 5 (before I started the extra feeding) and today, Day 8. Peewee looks like it's doing much better. Do I need to continue the supplemental feedings, or just keep an eye on it?

peewee comparison.jpg

I just wanted to add this updated progression picture of "PeeWee", the runt I had to give extra feedings to. I only held momma for a feeding on days 5 (first day I noticed it was runty and dehydrated), 6 and 7. Look at what a difference! Yay PeeWee! :)

Peewee - Day14a.jpg

peewee comparison.jpg

Just found this thread when trying to figure out whether the litter born this morning has been fed. They actually look somewhere between the fed and unfed photos. Even when we first picked them up--not more than an hour after they were born--and brought them in to warm them, some were more wrinkly and some had rounded bellies. Is there such a difference even before any are fed, just like some are overall larger or smaller than the rest?
We put them in the nest box and out with the doe when they were warm but brought them back in when they seemed to be getting cool, even in the nest. Planned to follow the advice given on another thread I started and take them out to her again at dusk. But when my daughter fed the rabbits on the way to milk the goats Berwick, the mother, seemed to be looking around for something in the hay still scattered on her floor. So took the nest box out and left it with her for about half an hour. When we brought it in and checked them we still weren't sure they were full, although they seemed less wrinkly. And they were definitely warmer. Does that indicate they'd been fed? And since they're only about 8 hours old, would they not take very much milk or would she not have a lot at first? We'll keep them in overnight and take them to her first thing in the morning. So far the pictures I've taken have been with the kits "right side up". Tomorrow I'll try to get belly photos.
This thread was very helpful--so much information already on RT, but sometimes I forget to look and ask the same question that's already been answered.

Rainy, the difference between fed and unfed kits is not always as pronounced as in the pictures. Since they are only hours old, I would not be too concerned. Momma's milk may not be fully in yet and the kits will be okay without feeding the first day. You are doing exactly the right thing giving them to her in early morning and evening.

If the kits are getting cool even in the nest, you might want to add some supplementary nesting material. Some of the materials people use are dryer lint (preferably not strongly scented), teased cotton balls or batting and feathers from a pillow. I was lucky enough to have a good supply of goose breast feathers, the little half-downy ones, from a mean gander we culled. They work very well.

See how it goes tomorrow. If you are still not sure, please post again, either here or in a new thread. Pictures definitely help.

Took the nest box out this morning at first light. Didn't see the doe in it, left it with her about half an hour. Took pictures of the kits when we brought them in. Still less than 24 hours old. Found it hard to hold them up for a belly shot, very squirmy so focus not great. Still feel uncertain that they're fed. Anybody with more experience have an opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_8589.jpg
    IMG_8589.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4,047
  • IMG_8588.jpg
    IMG_8588.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4,048
  • IMG_8590.jpg
    IMG_8590.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 4,048
  • IMG_8594.jpg
    IMG_8594.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 4,048
Eve with the fuzzy pix, I'd say those kits are fed. A couple of them look to have those very distended bellies that are so funny. :) Hopefully, the others will get some nice, big helpings, too. But as long as they look at least like that, they'll be fine. :D

Latest posts

Back