HELP - Pregnant doe labouring hard or Pneumonia or other????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ann for the advice on flipping the doe. I might try this right now and see what happens. It is a very good thing the doe 'adopting' the new kits is very gentle and will let us do practically anything to her without any fuss. I'll keep you posted.

when you flip her...have 2 of you there. one to control the doe, the other to place and worry about the kits. otherwise, just one OOOOMPH from her and the kits can go flying. (been there, done that, managed to save the kits)

I would divide the kits in half and play lets feed the babies. Leave one box in with each doe. The other leave out and you hold momma over top and let the kits nurse (or flip her). That way each momma has 7 extra kits to feed, and it gives everyone a good fighting chance to make it. Kits can survive just fine on one feeding a day (most of mine nurse twice a day so I can share a litter if I have need to).

As you have some fostered already, I would divide up the remaining kits into two groups and feed them via a nursing doe once a day.

I'd also call around to ANY bunny people I know and say help...I have 14 kits that need a momma.. can you help? even if they take one or two...it's GOLD. :)

My wife and I flipped the one doe and put the 5 'adopted' kits to her. It went very well and will continue to do this daily. It is so awesome to see this happen ... so sweet. We have high hopes for these five.

At the moment we only have one doe that has kindled a litter. The second doe is ready to kindle any day now and I am hoping that this happens tonight. The remaining 8 (after counting earlier today there were only 13 kits and not 16) do not seem to be doing well. As these were the weekest ones, 6 of the 8 have already died.

Get those kitsontoadoe,ASAP- and--stimulate them!!! they didnothave thebenefitofthetrip down the canal, sothey ned tobe handled in a way that will get their little bodies working!rolling them back and forth between your hands- a light toss, if you will, can help get the hearts and lungs working optimally. The Merck Vet manual has a homemade formula for replacer milk-- I posted the site in LINKS...

I've fostered several smaller litters successfully. I would definitely add calf manna to the doe's diet. I add 1 TBS per day, as a top dressing to her regular feed.

Oh, yes, there were another couple of threads recently on hand-raising kits, and stimulation was one thing that was stressed. Also, taking a cotton ball or something and rubbing the vent area to get them to urinate. The mother does this, and those unfostered kits probably haven't been getting that. It is necessary. Maybe you can save the other 2! :)

I'm so sorry that you lost the doe. :( Glad your fostering is going well, though!

Back