Breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonniebunnies

Reaction score
I have a broken black Holland that I was considering breeding what color should I go for? I was thinking a solid blue? Any suggestions?

I don't know the answer, but I do know you need to give an idea of what sort of colours you would like to produce.

My SOP went missing and I don't know how many points are awarded for color in hollands. If the color doesn't really matter then breed for what colors you want keeping in mind what is recognized for show. Otherwise black to any of the self colors is usually good. A blue or chocolate should give you good results.

I'm not sure of the colors but I will find out from the breeder. The other two kits in the litter were solid black and a solid blue. Everything that I've been researching has said that I shouldn't breed two broken bc of the 25% Charlie's that will be yielded and Charlie's aren't good. Personally I don't understand the issue with having Charlie's as pets. I would think that they would be just as great If they are given the appropriate care.
I love the brown mixes ( I think they are called torts) and the oranges. I love the cream colored with the blue on the ears paws and nose too.

I won't be breeding any buns until I make sure that I'm doing it correctly and research the ins and outs. It's hard to find any breeders where I live that can help me. I found one but she knows nothing about genetics or anything she just sticks bunnies together :no: :no:

Bonniebunnies"Everything that I've been researching has said that I shouldn't breed two broken bc of the 25% Charlie's that will be yielded and Charlie's aren't good. Personally I don't understand the issue with having Charlie's as pets. I would think that they would be just as great If they are given the appropriate care.[/quote said:
True Charlies are prone to genetic disorders, tend to have more digestive issues and such, but that isn't ALWAYS the case, it's just a tendency in my understanding. There ARE uses for Charlies in breeding. For example, I have learned that if you breed a charlie with a solid, you get 100% brokens in the litter (which makes me wish I had a solid or charlie buck...) but you would not want to breed a charlie with basically anything except a solid, because of the increased chance of genetic issues, in my (feeble) understanding. ;)

Black is one of the most dominant colours so unless your rabbit has some hidden recessive genes you will mostly get black and broken black kits.

If your rabbit had a blue sibling then there is a good chance s/he has a hidden blue gene and should produce blue and broken blue kits if crossed to a solid blue

If you have the colours of the ancestors on your rabbits pedigree it could help to figure out if torts or fawns/orange are possible

Latest posts

Back