Kitty litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
I have written this in a couple of my other posts, but haven't found any definite info on using kitty litter in my pee trays.

I am currently starting to build my cages now so I can get my granddaughter some rabbits for Easter. I plan on using the poop racks, using 1/4x1/4 inch mesh for them. I got the idea from a post of Grumpy's. Thanks again Grumpy!! I plan on using some sort of pee tray under the poop rack and was wondering if I put kitty litter in the trays if that would help control some of the smell. Would this be a good idea and has anybody else done this before? Why or why not?

I've used clay kitty litter on bottom trays for my indoor rabbits, usually when there is a litter of kits as they are not reliably litter trained yet and piddle all over.

Your adult rabbits will probably pick a potty corner and you can put most of the kitty litter there and less in other areas.

I also spray the bottom of my indoor rabbits litter boxes with a cat urine enzyme deodorizer to help keep the smell down. In my outdoor rabbit room I dust the floor with organic horse stall deodorizer that comes in 50lb bags and use peatmoss (a little goes a long way :) ) as an absorbent since people who buy my bags of rabbit manure prefer it to wood chips in their gardens.

Thank you for your input!! I will try it and see where they tend to go, then place the litter as needed.

Dood":3hzy4vj2 said:
I've used clay kitty litter on bottom trays for my indoor rabbits, usually when there is a litter of kits as they are not reliably litter trained yet and piddle all over.

Your adult rabbits will probably pick a potty corner and you can put most of the kitty litter there and less in other areas.

I also spray the bottom of my indoor rabbits litter boxes with a cat urine enzyme deodorizer to help keep the smell down. In my outdoor rabbit room I dust the floor with organic horse stall deodorizer that comes in 50lb bags and use peatmoss (a little goes a long way :) ) as an absorbent since people who buy my bags of rabbit manure prefer it to wood chips in their gardens.

That was INCREDIBLY useful information, Dood!! Thank you so much for sharing! :D
The peat moss is a GREAT idea and I'm glad to hear that the kitty litter is a good alternative if used in the pan under the wire. Yay! :D

Clay litter would certainly be okay, but I personally would use pine pellets.

They are also very absorbent and help with odor, with the added bonus that you can add them to your compost bins or garden beds instead of your trash cans. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 pm -- <br /><br /> ***Edited to add:

lereg15":13iuvk3n said:
I have written this in a couple of my other posts, but haven't found any definite info on using kitty litter in my pee trays.

If you have a lot of diverse questions, it's best to post separate threads that deal with each issue. Otherwise people will get overwhelmed and just respond to the question(s) that they feel are most important or feel they can offer the best input on.

It will also help other users in the future if they have the same question and try to find an answer using the search engine. :)

I think you misunderstood my point- don't feel like you can't ask questions and have to use the Search bar!- we don't mind going over the same subject matter, and oftentimes there are new views either from newer members or revised opinions from others.

It is just that if you have a whole bunch of questions on various topics, splitting them into different posts makes it easier for people to respond to them.

MamaSheepdog":37ttojt8 said:
I think you misunderstood my point- don't feel like you can't ask questions and have to use the Search bar!- we don't mind going over the same subject matter, and oftentimes there are new views either from newer members or revised opinions from others.

It is just that if you have a whole bunch of questions on various topics, splitting them into different posts makes it easier for people to respond to them.

Yup, I've found that folks here are remarkably patient with rehashing answers to the same old questions over and over again :oops: :oops:

But, I don't recall anyone asking the kitty litter question before ;)

MamaSheepdog":2hyiyd1l said:

No really, I understand. I took no offense, nor was I upset!

Syberchick70":2lx95z20 said:
Yup, I've found that folks here are remarkably patient with rehashing answers to the same old questions over and over again :oops: :oops:

Yes, that is one of the nice things about RT. And like I said above, it can be very beneficial.

Syberchick70":2lx95z20 said:
But, I don't recall anyone asking the kitty litter question before ;)

I entered "clay cat litter" and got these results: search.php?keywords=clay+cat+litter&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

lereg15":2lx95z20 said:
MamaSheepdog":2lx95z20 said:

No really, I understand. I took no offense, nor was I upset!

Well, that's good. :) I meant it only as a way that you could post so the RT community could serve you better.

You will find (and have probably already noticed!) that we are blessed with a membership that is very kind and willing to help everyone with everything "rabbit"! :D

Hey Dood - question about peat moss...

Do you think it would be safe to use it in their litter boxes as well? I guess it might just make their feet dirty? Dunno, have you ever tried putting peat in a place where the buns are in direct contact with it?

It's very dusty and I would worry about it irritating noses, causing sneezing and making me paranoid about pasturella :x

I use horse bedding wood shavings for my house bunnies litter boxes and dump them around my ornamental grades and trees and it blends right in with the rough cut wood mulch I have and helps fertilize my flower beds

Dood":27ecc8gc said:
It's very dusty and I would worry about it irritating noses, causing sneezing and making me paranoid about pasturella :x

I use horse bedding wood shavings for my house bunnies litter boxes and dump them around my ornamental grades and trees and it blends right in with the rough cut wood mulch I have and helps fertilize my flower beds

Ok, I've been using a combination of pine pellets and Fresh News litter, seems to work well, but I didn't know if peat might be better. :)

Just me popping in here - I've also been looking into kitty litter options, as my doe has been using our cats litter tray when she's been hopping around the lounge. I'm decided I'd look up online to see if what we were using was safe for her, but the kitty litter crystals we have are from silica gel and therefore toxic. So I got to doing a bit of research, and find it a controversial topic. Some people say not to use wood based litter because it can cause kidney problems, is this for a particular wood? And wouldn't paper litter (that looks like pellets and therefore more likely for them to eat) that is designed for absorbency, do the same in their stomachs?
Options I have available to me are a clay, recycled paper litter, compressed untreated pine pellets, or dried hemp based litter. I didn't know what hemp was like for rabbits though, since I know they chew everything. I read somewhere that clay, if ingested, can causes blockages?

I now use a mix of a scoop or two (a cat litter scoop) of compressed pine pellets and one light scoop of recycled paper pellets. The paper pellets are expensive, but really seem to help with odors. Compressed pine pellets are supposed to be ok for rabbits. I would not use clay or anything scented. I'm not sure about the hemp.

Latest posts

Back