Dandelion seeds, please!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoodat, would your kind offer of seeds be extended to me if I asked really nicely?

Please :)

I just realized that spell check messed up. Hoodat and MSD could I please get some dandelion seed from you?

Oh I will. I have not seen a dandelion all summer. But most of this yard is either dog peed, graveled over or tilled over for my gardens, nothing that isn't cultivated by me survives very long.

skysthelimit":f558hi51 said:
Oh I will. I have not seen a dandelion all summer. But most of this yard is either dog peed, graveled over or tilled over for my gardens, nothing that isn't cultivated by me survives very long.
You can't keep dandelions in neat rows.They don't behave that well. Just let them grow where they will in your garden would be my advice. They don't get tall enough to smother anything. Tilling doesn't kill dandelions. If you chop the root into pieces each piece is a new dandelion.

hoodat":3rd2836i said:
skysthelimit":3rd2836i said:
You can't keep dandelions in neat rows.They don't behave that well. Just let them grow where they will in your garden would be my advice. They don't get tall enough to smother anything. Tilling doesn't kill dandelions. If you chop the root into pieces each piece is a new dandelion.

:) I mean the soil is rock hard clay or gravel, so if I don't provide a space for them, they won't pop up. The little lawn I have is surprisingly dandelion free, but it's also grass free, lol. The gravel is salted (vinegar) to keep it weed free. The garden spaces are tilled, and heavily mulched or covered fall and winter, to discourage weed growth. I would have to purposefully sow them in the garden, they don't grow wild around here. That comes from years and years of mowing and killing weeds to keep a weed free environment, before I had a use for them.

cowgirl9768":1jowrjln said:
AmysMacdog":1jowrjln said:
Wow Cowgirl! I have voles distroying my plants so fast I'm having trouble keeping up and your ripping them up and throwing them out! :shock: :shock: :eek:
Want some voles that really love dandelions? :twisted:
Be glad to send some :mrgreen: ;)

HAHA actualy that may be a good idea (espeshaly for my gma who doesnt have rabbits to help her out). I may talk to her and get back to you. Will they kill the grass?

They only tunnel threw my grass, they kill dandelions, swiss chard, parsley, sweet potato and baby zuchini plants. :x

Recently my dandelion plants began blooming and giving me new seeds that I was greatful to have. We've had so much rain I lost a bunch of plants. I found one wilted in wet ground, repotted it, now its growing back so apparrently in that spot they got too much rain. A bunch of beautiful seedlings sprouted up and a slug ate them! GRRRRR! I had them in a little greenhouse for some protection but slugs are everywhere with all this rain. Oh well plants are still blooming! I'll try again soon! :)

Even with mowing (sometimes my stepdad would mow the yard to the point he was mowing dust) there would still be dandelions everywhere. When we lived in town people would come to the door advertising to spray our dandelion filled yard and my mom was always like, why? Dandelions are no nuisance except to people who want pristine yards. I like my wild plant yards. The farmhouse next to wildlife land and long abandoned gardens was maybe 10% grass, again despite tons of mowing. Wild flowers were persistent and various forages carpeted the ground. We had this one plant I can't remember the name of that grew all over in areas nothing else would grow. It was some really aggressive weed but it stayed short and bloomed purple with tons of bees feeding off it. Still not something I'd call a nuisance and want to kill off. Did have to work a little hard to keep it out of the garden. Then my aunt had something she kept pulling out of her garden and composting that she called red root. Turns out it was purslane and perfectly edible. She destroyed pounds of it a year. I just don't understand why people want 100% uniform grass yards. All the other stuff is interesting and adds color. I keep telling my husband I'm just going to turn the entire yard in to a short growing meadow flower area or cover it in a durable creeping thyme. He's complaining he'll have to mow again.

akane":1bsg6q34 said:
Even with mowing (sometimes my stepdad would mow the yard to the point he was mowing dust) there would still be dandelions everywhere. When we lived in town people would come to the door advertising to spray our dandelion filled yard and my mom was always like, why? Dandelions are no nuisance except to people who want pristine yards. I like my wild plant yards. The farmhouse next to wildlife land and long abandoned gardens was maybe 10% grass, again despite tons of mowing. Wild flowers were persistent and various forages carpeted the ground. We had this one plant I can't remember the name of that grew all over in areas nothing else would grow. It was some really aggressive weed but it stayed short and bloomed purple with tons of bees feeding off it. Still not something I'd call a nuisance and want to kill off. Did have to work a little hard to keep it out of the garden. Then my aunt had something she kept pulling out of her garden and composting that she called red root. Turns out it was purslane and perfectly edible. She destroyed pounds of it a year. I just don't understand why people want 100% uniform grass yards. All the other stuff is interesting and adds color. I keep telling my husband I'm just going to turn the entire yard in to a short growing meadow flower area or cover it in a durable creeping thyme. He's complaining he'll have to mow again.

We don't have dandelions out now. :( The drought has killed off most of our front lawn, although there is some grass in the back. We actually are planning on seeding the back with a clover mix that we'll feed to the rabbits and chickens. My parents and I are also thinking about doing planter boxes in the front with all our vegetables, so the chickens and/or rabbits can't get to them.

trinityoaks":2du13yf3 said:
RJ":2du13yf3 said:
PM me your address. I'll mail some if I can get to them before the kids. We're already got some fluffy ones.

Wait...is it illegal to mail dandelions to Texas from Illinois? Hmm....
Definitely NOT against Texas law! The only state I would be concerned about in that regard would be California. They have weird agricultural laws. They have weird laws, period!

Don't know why California would care. We already have tons of them growing wild here. Quite a nuisance :)

OK. Wait one moment. :shock: Yall WANT dandelions??? :? We have spent hundreds of dollars over the years trying to get rid of them. Now that I'm getting rabbits I could see having some around, maybe. I don't know the laws involving dandelions but they could be an invasive species or not. I know that in some areas this is a big issue like Asian carp in the great lakes, kudzu in Indiana, pythons in Florida. Yall can probably name a few extra. But it is just a thought. I don't know why Texas doesn't have dandelions naturally but there might be a reason. Then again maybe not.

I'm just shocked that people would want them. Would go to the point of mailing the seeds across country. :shock: :shock:

:reading1: :reading2: I'm going to have to do some research. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I can see that this is an old thread, but it's curious to me as well. The only thing in my lawn that I really don't like the crab grass :evil: that stuff is insidious. I love the pretty yellow dandelions when they come up (just started in fact) but I don't like ' the poofs' they turn into. We have thousands of them. No shortage of dandelions here.

I feed all my dandelions to my rabbits whenever I have a litter. Well now I am pulling them from my neighbors lawns as well..... they at least don't use pesticides just for this reason. :p My neighbors now call me "That Bunny Lady"

I think dandelions invaded just about everywhere Europeans settled long before laws to control such things were ever thought of.

They can be good food and medicine for both humans and rabbits. I personally like having them around.

My only problem is that there are never quite enough....

wamplercathy":3r36coiw said:
OK. Wait one moment. :shock: Yall WANT dandelions??? :? We have spent hundreds of dollars over the years trying to get rid of them. Now that I'm getting rabbits I could see having some around, maybe. I don't know the laws involving dandelions but they could be an invasive species or not. I know that in some areas this is a big issue like Asian carp in the great lakes, kudzu in Indiana, pythons in Florida. Yall can probably name a few extra. But it is just a thought. I don't know why Texas doesn't have dandelions naturally but there might be a reason. Then again maybe not.

I'm just shocked that people would want them. Would go to the point of mailing the seeds across country. :shock: :shock:

:reading1: :reading2: I'm going to have to do some research. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think about it, Cathy. Dandelions are an invasive European species. Our domestic rabbits are descended from the wild European rabbit. What could be more natural than feeding our buns all those wonderful invasive weeds.

Take a look at the Safe Plants for Rabbits sticky. Most of the plants listed are European weeds. I love 'em!
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

I'm with Sagebrush and Zass...can't have enough dandelions. Then again, I actually bought seeds this year and am growing purposeful plantains. :)

You can get a pound of dandelion seed online for like $400. :lol:

Latest posts

Back