Help me protect my rabbits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to check your state's wildlife laws thru the department of fish and game. Most states have a "season" on squirrels and it would be illegal to shoot them out of season. If you were caught doing so, you'd be open to fines and/or worse. I haven't heard of squirrels harrassing rabbits, does it happen? My rabbits are kept on a wooded lot (in pens) with a bajillion squirrels and I have not had any issues with them other than they love the wife's bird feeders. As others have mentioned, most states do have laws concerning harrassment of livestock and what can be done. Those laws may also be enforced by the Dept of Fish and Game, check with them.

Miss M":32sb9qh9 said:
I think we can kill animals threatening livestock except for bears. Still looking for the actual ordinances, though.

__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 pm __________

I really appreciate everybody's input!

We can Miss M. I can't wait for them to open bear season. The Feds and State have went too far with the bear program here. The population has to be very close to carrying capacity.

Miss M":12m6un2s said:
Would a carport-type thing be sufficient with hot wire and maybe chain-link or livestock fence?

I like this idea!

I would get some dogs as well. Even if they can't deal with the animal, they will alert you to its presence.

dragonladyleanne":1zaso1oc said:
Thanks for explaining that! Because "Do Not Resucitate Pet project just sounded SO wrong!
YES!! It does! :lol:

Piper":1zaso1oc said:
How many animals (rabbits, chickens, ect) do you need to protect? Right now? 6 months? 1 year? By an year, you should have a good idea of what direction you want to take it in, how much it may need to expand / grow, and the best place to place it.
Right now - 6 adult rabbits. In 6 months - 7 or 8 adult rabbits, their litters, and 7 or 8 chickens. In a year - the rabbits and chickens, plus two or three goats.

Lastfling":1zaso1oc said:
You need to check your state's wildlife laws thru the department of fish and game. Most states have a "season" on squirrels and it would be illegal to shoot them out of season. If you were caught doing so, you'd be open to fines and/or worse. I haven't heard of squirrels harrassing rabbits, does it happen? My rabbits are kept on a wooded lot (in pens) with a bajillion squirrels and I have not had any issues with them other than they love the wife's bird feeders. As others have mentioned, most states do have laws concerning harrassment of livestock and what can be done. Those laws may also be enforced by the Dept of Fish and Game, check with them.
I didn't think of looking with Fish & Game, thanks! I've never heard of squirrels harrassing rabbits. I was just surprised to see them called "protected" -- I guess that's only because there's a season for taking them.

6riversfarms":1zaso1oc said:
We can Miss M. I can't wait for them to open bear season. The Feds and State have went too far with the bear program here. The population has to be very close to carrying capacity.
I agree about the bears! :eek: Do you have links to the laws about wildlife threatening livestock?

MamaSheepdog":1zaso1oc said:
I would get some dogs as well. Even if they can't deal with the animal, they will alert you to its presence.
We will eventually be getting a dog. It'll be a puppy, though. Bunny-Wan Kenobi is so afraid of dogs! We need to get a baby to grow up with him. Outside only, though... I'm allergic to dogs. :roll:

Coons climb and they can tear welded fencing apart.

Hot wire should be on the outside of insulated posts, so metal, wood or plastic posts will work. If you want it over other fencing, it should stick out away from the current fence and you need one wire on the bottom and the other on the top. Top should either stick out on 5in insulators or stick up on the extended insulators, that way, they can't just hop over.

You can do a building and give it a little yard with hot wire fencing. Attaching to a metal building is NOT a good idea. The electricity likes to jump and it would be very easy for that to happen and electrocute w/e is inside the building.

ChickiesnBunnies":1e7tmxjr said:
Coons climb and they can tear welded fencing apart.

Hot wire should be on the outside of insulated posts, so metal, wood or plastic posts will work. If you want it over other fencing, it should stick out away from the current fence and you need one wire on the bottom and the other on the top. Top should either stick out on 5in insulators or stick up on the extended insulators, that way, they can't just hop over.

You can do a building and give it a little yard with hot wire fencing. Attaching to a metal building is NOT a good idea. The electricity likes to jump and it would be very easy for that to happen and electrocute w/e is inside the building.
I knew coons were good climbers, but didn't know they could tear welded fencing up.

So... is hot fence all I need? That'll keep out coons, bobcats, and whatever?

Miss M":3a6gpvc0 said:
Piper":3a6gpvc0 said:
Piper wrote:
How many animals (rabbits, chickens, ect) do you need to protect? Right now? 6 months? 1 year? By an year, you should have a good idea of what direction you want to take it in, how much it may need to expand / grow, and the best place to place it.

Right now - 6 adult rabbits. In 6 months - 7 or 8 adult rabbits, their litters, and 7 or 8 chickens. In a year - the rabbits and chickens, plus two or three goats.
Something like this, can go up fast and with some hot wire, may be proof against aerial or land attacks. It can be taken down and moved, too. This may be something like 'MaggieJ' has, though I suspect, that her's is a bit more secure, than mine is.
188c.jpg
There are three more photos at
post93877.html#p93877
- The 4x6x4 kennel is right by the 10x10x6 divided kennel - So, I can open the door and they can go into the "not as secure" lower kennel. The big kennel has three door panels, one on each end and one in the middle.

If you have a little bit of land.... Get a mini donkey. Anything or anyone who doesn't belong here or isn't in the right spot and he is braying like crazy. When I get my outdoor pens and hutches up I am putting them in a pastured area and the donkey will be loose in there. He is my property protector. I have yet to see any critter that doesn't belong on my property.

And he is super cute and friendly so.....Bonus!!!!

Mini animals aren't good guardians against anything larger than a fox or small coyote, plus, not all do well with the animals they should be protecting.

One fence line of mine is just 6 strands of hot wire, rest already had fencing and are on flat ground where the birds walk and I didn't want them to pass. I have seen the fence work on the fox that comes by often. Coons haven't gotten over.
Only time they have gotten in is when my pony broke a corner insulator and the fence grounded out. We have power outages often here, so a solar fence is the only reasonable fence for us. They are very easy to put up, might even be easier than attaching them to the main house.

Miss M you might want to consider Poultry Net electric fence from Premier One Supplies. I use it around my chicken coop and when it is charged with 9000 volts I don't think anything will go threw it. I use item # 207015 and it is 164' long and 48" high. You can hook up more than one to each other for what ever length you need. I am terrible about trying to attach a link but I am sure you can just Google Premier One Supplies. I will include a picture of my chicken pen.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 2,682
Don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said, just wanted to say good luck, I hope things work out for you in your new place! :)

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I was needing to know about snakes. We have mice, rats, coyote, racoons, opossums, raptors (hawks, eagles, owls), cougars, and snakes. We have had goats, pigs, and chickens and have only lost 1 chicken to a snake. We put down some powder around the coop and it scared the snakes out of the barn too. Which was over run with mice and rats. Which lead to poisoning. :x There is a large population of game species so the predators leave us alone for the most part. I try to keep a balance. That is the only way to keep our livestock safe. I love my snakes but don't want to share my rabbit meat. :lol: So how can I persuade them to leave my buns alone but stick around to eat the mice and rats?

wamplercathy":1bh3ty5n said:
I love my snakes but don't want to share my rabbit meat. :lol: So how can I persuade them to leave my buns alone but stick around to eat the mice and rats?

I think the only way is exclusion. Make sure that your cages have an extra layer of protection (1/2" hardware cloth, maybe) to keep the little snakies out.

Back