Colony Idea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsided

Reaction score
Earlier today I was trying to find some large rabbit hutches with runs online. I couldn't find very big ones. So after doing some research, I would like to build a large chicken coop with a run and nesting boxes attached. I plan to have a few does in there and put a buck in there for about 2 weeks. I will experiment with this a couple times and see how it goes. I really like the idea of this. Thoughts?

I can tel you right now some does are more stubborn than others when it comes to breeding. I would only put does in there then take then each out to put with the buck to make sure all of them are bred. you can check out my colony set up in my gallery. :)

I've been told that you do NOT want to put a buck into a doe enclosure. The doors are likely to attack him.
Always bring the does to the buck.

Syberchick70":ye7x1zk4 said:
I've been told that you do NOT want to put a buck into a doe enclosure. The doors are likely to attack him.
Always bring the does to the buck.

if you put them both in the enclosure at the same time they don't care. other wise they will. :)

Celice":2jwduemh said:
I can tel you right now some does are more stubborn than others when it comes to breeding. I would only put does in there then take then each out to put with the buck to make sure all of them are bred. you can check out my colony set up in my gallery. :)

Okay :) I will probably breed them that way and then just take all of the bred does to the pen. I really liked the idea of building more of a chicken coop and not a fenced in area because they will have a roof, and I will probably staple chicken wire to the bottom of the coop so that they can't dig out but can still graze.

Thank you everyone :)

I agree with Dood.

Don't use chicken wire use something stronger. Chicken wire just has a way of being flimsy and get broken easy.

In the beginning I had thought to use a dog run with cage wire added to keep the buns in. But I have no idea what kind of diseases could be in our soil :x so went with wire cages instead. But there are quite a few RT-ers that have colonies and they workout well. Can't wait to see your set up. I do like the thought of colony life. :)

Okay, so no chicken wire. I'll have to find some 1" by 1/2" hardware cloth. I think my local Tractor Supply sells it. Thank you everyone for all of your input! This project probably won't happen for a few months, just so that I can save up some money to buy supplies. I will definitely post pictures of it once it's finished! :D

Latest posts

Back