Kirito, my new bunny. What breed do you think?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I know I haven't been here in a while. My phone won't let me get on this site... It recognizes it as harmful.

I no longer have my breeding pair of meat bunnies... My set up needed too much work for me to do right now, so they went to a guy who already had meat breeders, but he didn't have any rabbits who had given birth yet.

I wasn't planning on getting another rabbit anytime soon... But I ended up taking one in. :)

I work at a pet store... and when I walked into work on March 2nd, there was a girl and guy standing at the front of the store. The girl (or I guess I should say young lady because she was around my age) was holding a rabbit and crying and the guy was holding a bag of food. She had bought the rabbit from us a few months ago and her apartment had a surprise inspection and it turns out she wasn't allowed to have a caged pet, so she had to get rid of him.
I'm not sure why I decided to take him in, but I did. So... here's Kirito. He's super sweet and calm.

I just got him neutered on Monday... And now I'm on the search for his Asuna.

enek_by_awaiting_abyss-d8kb4qn.jpg

the_lapine_addition_by_awaiting_abyss-d8kb4nq.jpg

dwarf_rabbit_by_awaiting_abyss-d8kb4t6.jpg

I think he obviously has some lionhead in him... but I don't think he's a pure lionhead. He weighs 2 lbs 5 oz / 1.05 kg. He's 5 or 6 months old (I'm not sure exactly, but I know he is very close to that age)

I'd say he is a broken chestnut, vienna carrier, non-dwarf, purebred Lionhead :)

His bone structure is extremely fine and few other breeds, aside from Tans and Brittania Petits, have this trait, and a cross to a Holland or even a Netherland would increase his bone density IMHO

I even think he is double maned :p but has very little furnishings :( as his flanks look like they have longer fur which is not seen in single maned rabbits but he is still young and might shed this out indicating he has a single mane gene

How sad for the lady! She obviously loved the little bunny very much! :cry:

I'm glad you were able to take him in, though, and she knows he's got a good home.

He's precious... I agree with Dood, his structure (tiny, delicate bones) reminds me of Aslan, our lionhead. And I think he may be a double mane, too. Is he on 16% feed? If so, try moving him to 18%. Aslan didn't have much wool when we got him, but now he's got a nice mane and has some wool sprouting around his legs. :)

That's great! Thank you :)

What food would you suggest I use for him? He is currently eating a mix of Vitasmart Rabbit Food (its a mix of corn, pellets and grains... it was what his previous owners had so I've been mixing it) and Oxbow Bunny Basics Young Rabbit.

Also, I will be getting a baby rabbit soon to bond to him, should I continue feeding young rabbit food to them both even though he will be older? I know he is currently between 4 and 6 months, but I'm not sure exactly how old he is.

I looked up the ingredients on the Vitasmart food- it's ok, but wow is it expensive. $20 for eight pounds? I get a 50 pound bag of good quality rabbit feed (alfalfa based) for less than that. If you have a feed store or Tractor Supply near you, you can pick up less expensive food that is just as good.

As to bonding another rabbit, do you have a plan in place if they won't bond? It's not guaranteed that they will.

Well, I do not like the Vitasmart. Kirito picks out the flaked corn and grains and leaves the rest until he realizes I'm not going to keep topping off his food, then he will eat the pellets.

Oxbow is $12 for a 5 pound bag, but my price is $5 for the bag.

I used to buy Mana Pro for my meat rabbits, though.

I thought alfalfa based pellets weren't good for adult pet rabbits? (I know he's not an adult now, I'm talking about the future)

Yes, I do have a plan, but I'm hopeful that they will bond since he's young and the doe is a baby. If not, the breeder will take her back. There is a rescue nearby but I wanted to try a baby first since rescue adoption is such a hassle.

You can feed him the Mana Pro, just in controlled amounts, and always keep his hay rack full :)

One of my 12 pound bucks only got 1/4 cup of 16% protein pellets (less than 2 oz in weight) but was free fed hay and I still had to keep an eye on him for obesity :mrgreen:

Rabbits with wool (like lionheads) sometimes need the extra protein to produce the wool. Aslan had just a couple of short wisps around his face when we got him, and the area behind his head was bald. We feed him Manna Pro Gro, which is 18%. He doesn't eat a lot of it... less than 1/2 cup per day. But he looks a lot better now.

Last June:

P6240545.JPG

Now:

Aslan_zps0awczxjb.jpg

We can get it only in a 50 pound bag, and he's the only bunny we use it for. So I divided it up into gallon Ziploc bags and froze it.

Awaiting Abyss":2ag1f464 said:
About hay though, how can I get him to eat it? I always have hay in his cage and in his hay holder, but he hardly touches it.
Some rabbits don't eat hay much, but it could be the kind of hay. You might try him on a different kind... if you have Bermuda, try to find Bahia or something. It is good to try to find a hay they will eat, as it helps keep things moving through the gut.

I would strongly suggest neutering him before you get a baby girl bunny, unless you are planning on having offspring?

Did you name him after Kirito from Sword Art Online?

Edit: You did! If you find him an Asuna and breed them you must save a female and name her Yui!

As mentioned in the first post, I already got him neutered. :) <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:24 pm __________ <br /><br />
LopLover":6g56x1ry said:
Did you name him after Kirito from Sword Art Online?

Edit: You did! If you find him an Asuna and breed them you must save a female and name her Yui!

Yes, I did. :)

Back