prep for fine fiber

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying one of these three things...

A blending hackle and diz

A blending board

A drum carder

I'd choose a fine wool model for the drum carder. Does the blending board come in fine? Are there fine enough combs or hackles for angora?

My goal is to blend my cleaned Cormo wool with Angora and make roving. I have no really big preference for worsted or woolen fiber. I like both.

What tips could you share when choosing? What do you use?

Thanks!

I made my own blending board and enjoy using it to make rolags where I'm combining colors and textures but not going for a super smooth prep or highly blended.

I have Valkyrie Extra Fine Combs and Hackle and I love them. These are really nice for removing vm and getting a super lovely prep. Generally I'll use the combs to prep the fiber, and the hackle if I want to combine fibers. There are tons of different ways to use a hackle and it's a great deal of fun. Just make sure to put those covers back on so you don't accidentally injure yourself by reaching across them.

I also just got a Fancy Kitty Kitten Drum Carder with 90tpi licker in and 120tpi drum. It is absolutely fabulous for blending fibers and getting luxurious fluffy squooshy batts. It's definitely my current favorite fiber prep toy.

Please keep in mind that I don't work with sheep wool at all, so all of my tools were purchased for Alpaca and finer fibers. If the Cormo you are planning to use is not as fine, or you are wanting more textured art batts, then you'll want to select combs/carder cloth that isn't as fine as I'm using for my combs and carder.

Because of the way that the blending board is designed to be used, the tines in the blending board cloth is longer and only available in one tpi. You can use regular carding cloth with finer tpi when making a blending board, but it will be a bit more difficult to work with and you won't be able to pack on as much fiber.

The extra fine hackle is the one I have. The spacing is like the combs so it definitely works quite well on the angora.

Just ordered the extra fine Valkyre combs and a 12 inch hackle. Can't wait to play!

I'm thinking about a carder.... I used to have a Pat Green Deb's Deluxe. Sold it when I thought I didn't need it... :( So, I'm looking at which drum carders are best to get another. Does it make sense to comb the neps out and then card? I like nep-free wool, but not necessarily worsted. I do enjoy woolen, too.

You could certainly comb the fiber first to remove the neppy bits. However, the licker in will remove a lot of the shorter bits too. I'd play around with it and see which prep you prefer.

I spin, and I didn't do anything to my rabbit wool before spinning, just spin it out of my hand. For other wool, I made a blending hackle by screwing some very thick toothed combs to a piece of 2x4. I also have "hand carders" that are dog slicker brushes :) . Angora is so much fun to spin, and it's so soft.

Becky":n165sr3t said:
I spin, and I didn't do anything to my rabbit wool before spinning, just spin it out of my hand. For other wool, I made a blending hackle by screwing some very thick toothed combs to a piece of 2x4. I also have "hand carders" that are dog slicker brushes :) . Angora is so much fun to spin, and it's so soft.
I prefer to spin rabbit wool uncombed, too. It is when I want to blend it with the Cormo wool that I feel I need a prep. I did just buy Pat Green Carder, (gulp). It should arrive in a couple weeks. I used to own one, but sold it to pay the bills one day after convincing myself it was just a luxury.... :roll: I'll keep this one and never let it go! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:20 am __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":n165sr3t said:
I do really wish I knew what you all were talking about, I have been interested in fiber production and use lately... but-- know almost nothing about it.

Sarah Cuthill of Frühlingskabine Micro-Farm is a great resource for learning about fiber rabbits. She has lots of fun videos to watch. I do believe she is/was a member here...

Back