forcing branches for winter feeding...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I pruned my corkscrew willow tree last week. I wanted to feed the prunings back in November, but an early freeze rotted the leaves in October, so I just left it until now.

I put my prunings in a bucket of water in the corner of the dining room. They look kinda nice actually, like a giant flower arrangement. and they are starting to leaf out...I thought someone else might want to try it. I plan to snip off the branches as they leaf out and feed them to the buns.

DO NOT feed willow to rabbits. Willow is what asprin is made of. How would you feel if you took a bottle of asprin? it would make your tummy bleed and you would die if you eat enough.. so will your rabbits..

IaJewel":2uq3tatt said:
DO NOT feed willow to rabbits. Willow is what asprin is made of. How would you feel if you took a bottle of asprin? it would make your tummy bleed and you would die if you eat enough.. so will your rabbits..

This is simply not true. Willow has been fed to livestock around the world for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

The World Rabbit Congress held in Verona, Italy in 2008 published many interesting articles, including one on supplementing rabbits with white willow.

http://world-rabbit-science.com/WRSA-Pr ... 2008-a.htm

I have been feeding willow to my rabbits for several years. They are extremely healthy.

Willow is great for my bunnies
I feed all fresh in moderation but willow is a favourite part of all my rabbits diet :)
LOVE the idea of forcing some branches for them - thanks :)

This is very interesting to me as yes.. willow is what aspirin is made from. I have never heard of it being used as a feed before so very interesting I learned something. Maybe the properties in aspirin effects humans and animals differently?

I think that may be the case, IaJewel. I had a link to another study about fodder trees... If I find it I will come back and post it.

Here's a couple:

http://www.fao.org/ag/AGP/AGPC/doc/p...ngs/willow.pdf

http://www.grahamandrews.com/fodder_trees.htm

And here's a report I wrote up a couple years ago about feeding willow and poplar to rabbits:

Willow And Poplar
Report on Willow (Salix spp.) and Poplar (Populus spp.) as livestock fodder.

There are about 90 species of native North American willow (Salix) plus many more that have become naturalized here and about 35 species of poplar, plus a number of natural hybrids. Poplar is a member of the huge willow family (Silicaceae). Willow bark has been used for millennia for easing pain and aspirin has much the same chemical composition.

As far as I have been able to determine, all willows and poplars are safe to feed to rabbits; however, specific information relating to feeding willow and poplar to rabbits is hard to find. I feed both of these to my rabbits, willow regularly and poplar occasionally (merely because the poplar trees are further from the rabbitry and house) and have found that the rabbits eat both the bark and leaves eagerly. Willow, in particular, is among their top ten favourite plants.

Using trees as fodder for livestock is an idea that is gaining ground quickly, particularly in areas of the world where seasonal drought results in unreliable grass and legume supplies during the dry months. Because trees have a much deeper root system, they are better able to provide sustained production in dry conditions. Australia, New Zealand and Bhutan all have well-established usage of willow as feed for cattle and sheep.

It was a pleasant surprise to me to learn that willow and poplar compare favourably with alfalfa as a source of protein. Crude protein content varies with the seasons, from a low of about 11% to a high of 25%. Crude fibre varies from 12 to 22%. Poplar has similar levels. Willows grown in Canada, for reasons unspecified, generally have only about 16% protein, but that is about the same as many commercial feeds.

There is a lot of information about feeding willow to cattle and sheep. See the sources at the end of this report for more information. One experiment with cattle found that lactating cows fed entirely on willow maintained their milk supply at a level equal to the period preceding willow feeding – and that milk supply dropped when the willow was discontinued.

Here, we are fortunate in having a huge weeping willow tree providing shade for our summer rabbitry. Salix babylonica is the preferred species of willow as tree fodder in Bhutan and we make good use of it here as well. From spring until late autumn we feed the leaves and tender branches to our rabbits several times a week. We also dry large quantities for winter use and sometimes feed the bare frozen whips as well. It is easy to harvest for drying and can simply be tied in convenient-sized bundles and hung up on nails on the walls of the winter rabbitry until needed.

The use of trees and shrubs as a source of feed for livestock is not new. Plato, in his Critias and Timaeus, noted that: “...there were also many other lofty cultivated trees which provided unlimited fodder for beasts.”

In England and parts of northern Europe, elms were used as a source of fodder until the mid-1800s. They formed an integral part of the farming system (Lamb 1979). The elm's large volume of canopy contains much needed proteins, carbohydrates and minerals sought by livestock. This small digression is simply to point out that other trees besides willow and poplar can be used for animal fodder.

Some of the species that are used world-wide are:

Ø Tagasaste: Chamaecytisus proliferus
Ø Carob: Ceratonia siliqua
Ø Honey Locust: Gleditsia triacanthos
Ø Willows: Salix spp, especially the weeping willow, Salix babylonica, and the hybrid Salix matsudana x alba
Ø Poplars: Populus spp
Ø Leucaena: Leucaena leucocephala
Ø Chenopods: particularly Atriplex nummularia.

Willows are valued for their spring and summer foliage. They are fast growing, long-lived, and easily propagated from cuttings. They yield copious foliage after just two or three years, up to 200 kgs (about 440 pounds) per tree per year. The foliage contains an average 17% protein.

Willows coppice readily, even when cut right back. Trees are kept low to be grazed directly by cattle or more easily cut for other livestock. Willows are drought tolerant and frost resistant and are ideal for soil stabilisation.

Poplars (Populus spp) are grown under conditions similar to willows. They are deciduous, providing foliage in spring and summer. Like willow, they are fast growing and tolerate dry periods well. Yields are increased by keeping them well grazed and small. The trees should be well spaced and can be grazed within their first two or three years. Propagation is from cuttings or suckers. Yields of five to seven tonnes dry matter per hectare per year on first cutting; second browsing should double this.

Willow and poplar have been fed successfully to livestock in many parts of the world for many years. At first, it was
used during periods of drought for animal maintenance; however, after much studying, hands-on experience, and high level testing, it was determined that these trees, and others, could be fed to livestock on a regular basis.

Furthermore, it was proven that the (RFV) Relative Feed Value and protein levels equate favourably to those of alfalfa, hay, and other forage. Once planted, the trees offer an available feed source for many years without concern for watering, fertilizing, or crop rotation.

Depending on your method of planting, this feed source will yield between 100 to 400 tons of (DM) Digestible Material, per acre, per year.

Summary:

All this information is useful to livestock farmers, but for the small homestead or backyard rabbitry, what is the bottom line?

In my opinion, willow and poplar of all types may be fed with confidence to rabbits as a good source of protein and other valuable nutrients.

In addition to their nutritive qualities, there is considerable evidence that willow acts as a natural wormer and coccidiostat.
Given the ease of propagation and the ubiquitous nature of these trees, establishment of a stand can only be a good thing for the smallholder and homesteader.

I actually found Willow was a HUGE favourite with my paralysed bunny Franklin .. he adored his willow .. and I like to think it eased his aches ;)

what about Gum trees (eucalyptus)??
used to have a bunch of them in cali

About willow vs aspirin: An aspirin tablet is PURE acetylsalicylic acid, a willow branch/twig is quite different. The chemical is not exactly the same, for starters. the acetylsaicylic acid is a derivative of salicin, which is what is in the layer under the willow bark (and in the leaves in some types).

Also, consider the amount of leaves/bark/wood/juicy bits that you get in a twig, vs the small amount of salicin. It takes a large amount of willow bark to boil down (or leaves) to make a pain reliever that would be the equivalent to 1 325mg aspirin tablet. So...bunny is getting not just the pain reliever, but all the nutrient/fibers as well which will coat the stomach lining.

when I first heard about willow for animals I was thinking the same thing...BAD!!!! Then I was sent to a bunch of sites by Maggie about how it's been used for generations without ill effect. Then I asked the guys at USDA research center about willow with dairy animals (and sheep). Now, willow is on my list of plants that I harvest for the rabbits. :D

Latest posts

Back