Doe breeding issues - try again or cull?

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 484
Joined: March 10, 2015
Location: FL
United States of America
Thanks: 56
Thanked: 85 in 60 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,637.00

Doe breeding issues - try again or cull?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Deer Heart » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Okay, at present I have 2 does and a buck.
My buck bred both of my does while they were not being supervised (I am not sure how this went); the broken had 7 kits in her first litter, the second doe who is chinchilla in colour only had 2 which were the same size as the broken's kits.
I chalked this up to first time pregnancy issues but still watched the chinchilla doe closely for possible weight issues (you can feel her vertebrate but they are not sharp, they are nice rounded bumps). I still fed her more carefully and made sure she wasn't trying to be overweight on me.

Anyway, I attempted to rebreed both does after a 2 week rest (all 9 kits died from inexperience) anyway, the process went smoothly for the broken but the chinchilla SCREAMED when placed in the bucks cage. Very very loudly. Enough it sent my dogs which were confined in the house into barking raving lunatics (these are rabbit/chicken friendly dogs! I think they thought she was being eaten alive). It clearly startled the poor buck so I removed her and allowed her to settle down. I tried the next day and the same thing happened. She screamed and ran away the second she caught wind of the buck. I went to remove her this time but as soon as I reached inside she froze and allowed him to mount "pop" and fall over. I thought well, alright and he managed to get a second one in before I managed to get her to let me get a hold on her to remove her.

I held her and stroked her for several minutes hoping to calm her down a bit before placing her back in her cage - immediately she acted like she was about to urinate but it was white and looked like just the bucks "deposit". It has since been 12 days and after massaging my does to check for fetuses the broken seems good, but the chinchilla oddly I could only ever find a single "grape". I think she may be about to only have 1 or 2 again. I'm not surprised after the breeding fiasco! But what should I do now? Chalk her up to the crockpot or let her carry this forward and give her a full chance? Am I just wasting my time here on an unwilling doe? I have a junior or two who could use that cage.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 95
Joined: January 9, 2015
Location: KY
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 12 in 11 posts
BunnyBucks: 565.00

Re: Doe breeding issues - try again or cull?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Lopsided » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:08 pm

When my doe was pregnant and I palpated her I could only feel 1 or two grape-sized lumps. She had nine babies. Seven made it to weaning age. So as they say, "Don't count your chicks before they hatch." She could have plenty more than what you feel :)

In my opinion, I would give both does one more chance on a litter and if the majority of them dies. or all of them dies, I would probably sell the does to a pet only home or cull them.

The following user would like to thank Lopsided for this post
Bea, Deer Heart

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest