brooding chicks question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Our chicks will be arriving in about 3 weeks. I hope eventually to have hens that will do the work of brooding but we have to do it again this time around. I was looking at the poultry part of Keeping Poultry and Rabbits on Scraps, a book recommended frequently on RT. Has anyone on here tried any of the brooders described there? Seems to be recommending moving the chicks outdoors sooner than what is generally recommended on BYC and such.
Last time we used a red light heat lamp above a wooden box 3'x4' and we fed them chick starter.Didn't put them outside until fully feathered. This time I want to try something other than the heat lamp and to get them outside sooner. Also want to start them on whole grain (ground or sprouted at first), potato, eggs, worms, greens, etc--foods that are recognizable and not pulverized months ago. (We just got a bag of bad goat grain, moved the goats more quickly than intended onto whole grains and fodder and I'm feeling suspicious--paranoid?--about the commercial feed)
Anyway, back on topic, I'd like to hear what anyone else has tried for brooding without the heat lamp or broody hen, and also to know when others start putting chicks outside--either for a few hours or full time. I realize that the temperatures will have something to do with it--don't know when the snow will be gone this year--14 below 0 F again last night) Thanks. Think spring!

If the weather is nice out I put the chicks outside at about 4-5 days old, but do use a heat lamp outside. If the weather is really warm already (like 85 or above I only use them at night. I tend to stop using them around 2-3 weeks depending on the weather. I try to use less heat because they will feather in faster if they are a little cooler. As far as food I use commercial chick starter, so I am no help there.

Back