Rabbit Rellanos casserole

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
Got a new recipe for you..I am a BIG fan of Mexican food..my favorite being the chili rellanos...So I thought for a while and came up with this version using shredded rabbit.. (all amounts are approximate as I do not measure) Rellanos_190424_small.jpg
1 can evaporated milk
6 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
couple dashes hot sauce-what ever kind you like very it to your taste.
4 cups shredded cheese- Jack and cheddar, or if you like it hot pepper jack and cheddar
1 large can whole green chilies-or if you like to roast your own poblano or Anaheim (enough to cover the top and bottom of a 9 X 13 pan)
4 cups shredded rabbit
1 small onion minced
2 heaping tsp. minced garlic

Heat oven to 350* grease 9X13 pan
whisk together first six ingredients set aside..open chilies line bottom of pan, top with 1 cup cheese. Spread rabbit meat on top, top that with the onion and garlic.More cheese keep back about 1 cup,for the top.cover the top with more split chilies.Pour the egg mixture over all.top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 45 to 50 min let stand for 5 to 10 min before cutting.serve with salsa and sour cream.
If you want to you can put enchilada sauce on the top about half way into the baking time, I did not though...Serves 8 to 10.
edit: oops forgot the can of milk-duh...

KB you been in my recipe box? I've made one just like this for years but with our own home made sausage. Breakfast sausage plain in the morning and Italian sausage with spaghetti sauce on top at night. :mrgreen:

Will definitely give the rabbit meat a try. Thanks for the idea.!

edit: :thinking: hummm. Maybe your white rabbit enchilada sauce...Time to thaw out some roasted peppers me thinks. :dinner:

Homer, You had a similar recipe and never shared? or even tried it with rabbit? For shame! :nono: How can we convince people that rabbit is the most versatile meat there is if you don't try new things and SHARE with your R.T. family?? Now where is that recipe box??? :gettowork:

That looks and sounds wonderful!

Our favorite dish here is rabbit enchiladas, so this recipe is right up our alley! :p I will report back when we try it. :)

katiebear":a92izcdm said:
Homer, You had a similar recipe and never shared? or even tried it with rabbit? For shame! :nono: How can we convince people that rabbit is the most versatile meat there is if you don't try new things and SHARE with your R.T. family??

Yeah, what's up with that?!?

Thanks for bringing this little issue to our attention, Katiebear. We will have to watch Homer carefully from now on... :sneaky2:

Hmmm... can Miss M break out "the chair" and punish someone for NOT doing something?

What I like about this recipe, is that the vast majority of ingredients can be sourced from my backyard.
Rabbit, eggs, peppers, garlic, onions....

Hmm..
I'd pretty much just have to buy the cheese and maybe a couple spices.

Is the flour necessary? I don't do wheat flour, and gluten-free ones tend to be awful and fail to work correctly in most recipes anyway.

MamaSheepdog":3lqpez1j said:
...Hmmm... can Miss M break out "the chair" and punish someone for NOT doing something?
Oh that's good. You and Maggie badger poor Miss M to the point she went after you two with "The Chair" and now you try to distract her and sick her on me. :furious: ...and on her birthday no less! Nice try but I don't think she'll fall for it. :troll: Of course I've been wrong before. :boxed:

:laugh2:

Zass":3lqpez1j said:
Is the flour necessary? I don't do wheat flour, and gluten-free ones tend to be awful and fail to work correctly in most recipes anyway.
No you don't have to use flour. I increase the milk and use dried bread cubes to make mine.
· 2 cups milk (a cup of milk and a cup of 1/2&1/2 is really good)
· 6 eggs
· 2 cups dried bread cubes, preferably a crusty French loaf
· 1 cup grated cheese: a mild cheddar, jack, mild goat or Brie

I usually use a quart bag (sometimes more) of our own roasted peppers in the bottom of a sprayed pan. (peppers, meat, peppers, meat) Mix the eggs, milk, spices, cheese (usually cheddar in the mix) and hot sauce then add the bread cubes.

Dump the egg mixture in, cover with cling wrap and put it in the frig for at least two hours to overnight...Just giving it time to let everyone get to know each other. ;) When ready to cook I shave some Jack cheese (use a potato peeler) to cover well and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. If you want the cheese on top to stay gooey cover with foil and uncover the last 10 minutes or so for some color.

If the flour is just for thickening, maybe use instant mashed potatoes instead?

This looks yummy.... I'm gonna try it (with chicken). ;) :oops:

In this recipe the flour adds a heaviness to the egg mixture it makes it more of a thin batter..You can leave it out. Your end result will be more of a omelet texture...still quite good though.. :D

katiebear":3dqab4w6 said:
In this recipe the flour adds a heaviness to the egg mixture it makes it more of a thin batter..You can leave it out. Your end result will be more of a omelet texture...still quite good though.. :D
That's why I use the bread cubes, so it has more poof to it. :mrgreen:

Homer":137m8kv4 said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:...Hmmm... can Miss M break out "the chair" and punish someone for NOT doing something?

Oh that's good. You and Maggie badger poor Miss M to the point she went after you two with "The Chair" and now you try to distract her and sick her on me. :furious: ...and on her birthday no less! Nice try but I don't think she'll fall for it. :troll: Of course I've been wrong before. :boxed:

Oh-ho!!! Just you wait, Homer!

I haven't seen Miss M on this morning, so she is no doubt nursing a cake and ice cream hangover... but once she is feeling better (which may take some time- you know how recovery takes longer when you are old), I'm sure she will "attend" to you.

I left her a little message in the birthday thread to make sure of it. :twisted:

Homer":1ufnueop said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:...Hmmm... can Miss M break out "the chair" and punish someone for NOT doing something?

Well, let's see... after careful review of the RT manual :reading1: , you do get kudos for using your own homemade sausage with your recipe.

Still, to raise meat rabbits and never try them in the recipe? For shame! :nono:

Perhaps this doesn't quite yet rise to the level of needing a chair beating, so I will proceed to try to shake some sense into you: :wr_shake:

MamaSheepdog":1ufnueop said:
once she is feeling better (which may take some time- you know how recovery takes longer when you are old)
Hmmm. :? I see the chair wasn't quite enough. Let's try this: :mosquitos:

Homer":23gx4t8p said:
No you don't have to use flour. I increase the milk and use dried bread cubes to make mine.
The gluten free breads available are getting better and better, I may try that. :)
Syberchick70":23gx4t8p said:
If the flour is just for thickening, maybe use instant mashed potatoes instead?
Great suggestion! I always forget about how versatile potatoes can be.
alforddm":23gx4t8p said:
Maybe use corn starch? I honestly don't' know if that would work. I know you can sub flour and corn starch as thickeners for sauces but I'm not sure about baking it like this.
It's certainly worth a shot! Or maybe some of the heavier corn flour.
katiebear":23gx4t8p said:
Oh good, it sounds like it would be hard to ruin this by experimenting. Thanks everyone!!!

I'm not sure if I would do bread. I don't like bread pudding and I would be afraid that would be the texture....but that's just me..
I would probably try corn flour. Just put corn meal in your food processor and pulse until you get flour...
And yeah I kinda pulled this put of my head so if you can vary it to your taste go for it,!! Cooking should be fun, and creative right?

Back