Which doe would give better color results?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacquefrfly9

Reaction score
I have three rabbits, two doe and a buck. My two does are sisters from the same litter. The mother was a pure dutch tort, and the father a black dutch/mini rex. The father had a partial saddle, and the typical dutch blaze. The offspring of that combination were two Himalayans (they had red eyes so I'm assuming that they are truly himis), a black with dutch saddle and blaze, and a tort with saddle and blaze, but she also has a spot on her ear. The two does I have now are one of the himis and the tort with the spotted ear. The buck I have to breed to them is either a broken siamese sable or a tort. His coloration seems to be about halfway between the two shades. The buck is also a holland lop. I do not know the parent generation information of the buck. Which cross would result in the best colored offspring?

Another thing is that the doe tort has one blue eye and one eye that is half blue and half brown. How would that affect any crosses, and what is the reason behind this? Is there a chance for blue eyed offspring?

Thanks in advance for any help or input.

from what I know..you need two blue factors to get blues (as in blue eyed rabbits).

The tort doe will probably throw you 'flashy' kits as the vienna gene adds splashes of white colour to the nose and the body in sometimes odd patterns. :)

They both have the potential to throw you interesting colours. Are you hoping for Easter kits to sell to the pet market? Why not breed both does? That will tell you a bit more about what you could get from both of them.

What do you mean by best coloured? Colour is all relevant; everyone has their own favourite... seeing as how this can't possibly be for show purposes is all. The mini-rex buck was probably a vienna marked mini-rex and not a Dutch cross at all, does he have rex fur?

All I mean by best colored is the most "interesting" or the greatest variety per liter. Because I was a little shocked when I breed the original tort mother to the black buck and got two himis. And even more shocked by the fact one of the torts I plan on breeding now has the odd eyes.

I probably will breed both because I am really curious about the crosses and what will result. And yes they are for easter pets.

And I am also 100% sure that the black buck is a dutch/mini rex cross. I purchased him from a very trusted breeder.

I raised purebred dutch for years.the dutch with one blue eye one brown eye is common although not desireable for show.I mostly got those with black or blue Dutch.

Back