?? False pregnancy ??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
OK, so today while my wife and I were out taking care of the chickens and rabbits my wife noticed (Kodo) my Black New Zealand doe hay stashing and trying to build a nest in the back corner of the hutch. she was digging and scratching the wire like a mad women. I didn't notice her pulling any fur......as of yet anyway. I just moved her and my 3 other does in their new hutch I built. Before I moved Kodo she was in my 2 compartment hutch next to my Rex buck. My lil Rex buck is around 8 months old and Kodo is 7 months old. I never bred her before so Im thinking she cant possibly be pregnant right? I was waiting to breed her this month. I heard before that rabbits can mate through the wire.....is that even possible? I did put a nesting box in her cage just for my own self reassurance and hers to. I watched her for a while and she was curious about the nest box. I don't think she was quite sure what to do with it. I put hay in it to give her a hint. Could she be pregnant or is she going through a false pregnancy. How long should it be before she snaps out of it? Is there anything I can do or should do? :x

I've seen enough people post about rabbits getting pregnant 'through the wire' to believe it could happen... assuming both parties tried hard enough. I'd like to see video evidence. ;) Have you tried gently palpating her (and would you know what to look for?) Of course, if she's far enough along to be hay staching, you should be able to feel any kits inside without much difficulty. False pregnancy is common, but I'm not sure it's common that young. In my understanding, it's often triggered by the rabbit THINKING she's been bred, which can happen with a failed breeding or by being with a particularly dominant doe (or castrated buck). Anyway, if you gave her a nest box, you're covered. Let us know what happens!

Rabbit can breed through wire - I use to think it was a myth as well but it is not :)

All you can do is put in a nest box and wait 30 days.

If she is in false pregnancy then she is overdue for getting pregnant and I'd try putting her with a buck

I would leave the nest box in at least 30 days out from the date you moved her from the buck, but haystaching leads me to believe you might not need to wait that long.

Latest posts

Back