Newbee mistake and a breed back question.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacomo

Reaction score
Well I messed up bigtime. I put one of my does in with my buck 31 days ago and watched them and didn't think they bred. I put her back with him a little over a week later and watched them and he got her this time, at least he rolled off like he did do his deed.

Now I went out today and found she had 9 babies, all dead when I found them. I know now to stay with them longer and watch closer from now on.

Now my question. How long do I wait before I try to breed her back. Is it possiable she could still be pregnant from the second breeding.

TIA

I always give my does a nest box for the original due date just in case especially since I'm a failure at palpating. Most does will not allow a buck to mount them when they're already pregnant but some do so you can't judge based on the fact she let the buck breed her again. It is always better to be safe then sorry, rabbits are always great for giving you a surprise.

Yes, like Shara said, wait another week to get to 31 days from the second breeding, if no litter then wait up to another week since they actually can be that late. Then breed back. That way, you make sure she has no more.

Sounds like he did get her the first time, but the second breeding a week later probably took as well and doomed the first one. The second litter may be born alive or dead, or may not be born at all (her body may absorb them). Just give her enough time to make sure before you breed her back.

Don't worry... you didn't do anything plenty of others haven't done before you! :)

Palpating is an awesome skill, and one that I am glad I learnt. It does take a lot of practice, but i agree with Jack, try and learn it. It is the best way to know whether to expect a litter or not. :)

COME ON
what does it take to feel kits at 3-4 weeks, they are LARGE, there are a bunch of them and the wiggle, if you can feel a plum in grocery bag, you can feel a kit
TRY A SMALL BREED, like a polish who only has one or 2, and they hide, then I have trouble, but a large breed, start a the ribs and PINCH/ PUSH until you feel the spine, then run the intestines and organs through your hand, and feel for the bumps, at 10 days -2weeks a kit feels like a OLIVE, you can fee the poo in the intestine, the kit feels different, the only time I'm wrong is on singletons with a doe with a full badder, and that's cause I've been peed on, on the bright side, I found out she wasn't pregnant. Or you start on the other end and work you way up the Uterus, you aren't going to damage the rabbit, it's ok, push harder....

Locomo,
was this the first time that Doe had kits?
If the answer is yes, sometimes a Doe will lose it's
first litter due to inexperience.
Next time you breed your rabbits, watch the action.
Do not turn your head or blink your eyes or you may miss it!
Allow the Buck to service the Doe twice at this first meeting,
then place her back in her cage and you are done with it.
There is no need to bring the Doe back to the Buck for a second breeding,
it serves no purpose other than to waste both your and the Bucks time.
The time would be better spent having the Buck service another Doe.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back