Separating hay from berries/reducing waste hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I feed my rabbits free choice bermuda grass hay. The problem I'm having is alot ends up mixed in with the berries. When I'm just spreading on the pasture or around the trees it's not a big deal. However, I'd like to start a small garden and I'd rather not have to fight the bermuda grass any more than I already will by adding seeds from the waste hay.

So, the question is how do I seperate the hay from the berries or even better keep so much from being wasted? I've made wire hay feeders that I've found on this site and they do help some but there is still alot of waste.

Whenever someone comes up with the magic answer, I want to know too.

Cannot help with the waste or separating out the seeds but hays are usually harvested before the seeds are mature (to maximize protein and prevent the seeds from falling off during baling) so they shouldn't be able to germinate, however any weed seeds in the hay might :(

Composting to temperatures above 130' should kill the seeds and our chickens have access to our manure pile and are very good at picking out any seeds that were missed or didn't get digested :x

hays are usually harvested before the seeds are mature
*smacks self* As soon as I read that I realized you were right. Even if it did have seed heads they would probably fall off and end up with the berries anyway so trying to separate the waste hay from the berries probably wouldn't accomplish much. This hay doesn't have many weeds so maybe I don't have much to worry about anyway. I don't have enough manure at the moment to try and compost. It's getting used faster than they can poop it. We are trying to remedy that situation. :mrgreen:

Thanks Dood! As usual you're a big help.

You can have some of mine. I've layered it on probably a 50x20' section of garden and I still have 2 storage containers full of rabbit and chinchilla poop to empty before I can clean cages again. :lol:

I guess you have to produce pure rabbit poo for folks to buy it? Or will they buy it with other stuff mixed in? I put it all on the garden, with the dirty hay, wood pellets, etc

Back