It's not rats.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I put the blue doe and her litter, The Frozen Five, in the freezer. Then I opened the colony up so that Fred, the red doe and the black doe could have the run of the entire colony. They mostly hang out in the half they usually do which has the food and water in it but they do run around the whole colony and seem to enjoy the space.

On Tuesday I went out to feed everyone and found frozen baby bunnies scattered around in the straw. They were rock solid. Turns out the red doe had a litter of ten, one was not fully formed but the other nine were normal, not chewed up but four were out of the nest and the others were in the nest, all were frozen. The doe stuffed the nest box with straw, dug a great tunnel and pulled a lot of fur. they were rock solid so I didn't bother to warm them up.

This morning I went out to feed everyone and the black doe was giving birth in the same nest so I fed everyone and let her go about her business. About half an hour later I went out to find two kits outside the nest and very cold and six more in the nest, also cold. I brought the nest box inside and dug everyone out. Two were missing half the skin from their bodies but still alive so I put them down.

The final six are warming up under a heating pad. One is fully intact, both ears and all legs are good. The other five are all missing their ears but all legs are fine. One has skin missing on the back of it's neck and I'm considering putting it down.

Seems the black doe is an over-cleaner. That won't do here and I'm going to isolate her in one half of the colony and see if she can raise any survivors of this litter then put her in the freezer. My question is: would the black doe dig the red doe's perfectly healthy litter out of the nestbox if she realized she would have imminent use for it? There are four nest boxes in the colony.

I've had rabbits since Feb. 08 and had many dozens of litters over the years from a lot of different does and, aside from losing kits or the odd litter from time to time, I've had nothing like what's happened the last couple of months here with the chewed live kits.

It's quite possible that the black doe dug out the red doe's kits if she wanted the nest box for herself. Does can be very territorial. Another scenario when you have two does wanting the same space is that both will kindle in the same nest and you have two litters raised together by two does. I have no idea why one nest box should seem "better" than another to the does.

Since you have no doubt that the black doe is the offender in this case, I think it's a good idea to send her to freezer camp once she is done with this litter. She is not a team player and not a good choice for a colony.

Sorry you're going through this, Truckinguy. Colony raising is great--except when you run into a management problem of this sort. Once you get two does that can work together, things should improve. :good-luck:

Thanks, Maggie! I might just go with Fred and the red doe for now. I miss Morgan, she and Fred got along like two peas in a pod, she was a good mother and put all her kits in the nest box with lots of fur.

The red doe has a five or six week old litter of seven doing fine out there now. Onward and upward...

Just keeping the red doe and Fred is probably your best bet. Down the road a bit, there will be a promising young doe that you may want to keep with them as a second breeder. In my experience, the daughter of your dominant, experienced doe seldom causes problems -- she knows her place from the beginning.

By the way, your red doe needs a name. :)

MaggieJ":2jjnr72z said:

I agree and seeing as she is a redhead I think he should call her Lucie for Lucille Ball. :lol:

MTE4MDAzNDA5OTQwMDIyNzk4.jpg

Homer":3qxthzhd said:
MaggieJ":3qxthzhd said:

I agree and seeing as she is a redhead I think he should call her Lucie for Lucille Ball. :lol:

MTE4MDAzNDA5OTQwMDIyNzk4.jpg
Lucie and Fred? Ricky's gonna be mad......... :twisted:

Maybe naming her Ethel would be safer, even though she was a blond. :roll:

Well, she's not quite the full red that Scarlett was, more of a reddish brown. However, as she has had at least two litters she deserves a name so... Lucille it is!

Thanks, Maggie, that's good advice. There is a litter of seven in there now so I'll sex them out and see what's there. I'm getting some very nice colors so I should have a nice pick.

Back