What breeds make the best house pets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! My and my fiancé got an apartment about 6 months ago. We love it but I miss having my cats allot. I also had pet rats which our new landlady wouldn't allow. We also had a pet rabbit although he just never got used to living inside with people. I'm considering trying to get amother house rabbit. but this time I want a friendly rabbit who is easy to litter train. In the past I've had a holland, a Netherland dwarf and a rex. What is the best breed to become a free range house bunny? Thanks!

We have a Holland or a Holland cross, a frankenbunny, that was very easy to litter box train.

Definitely Polish in my opinion. They have their own special quirks and personalities, and can be very affectionate, sometimes even puppy-like in demeanor. Of course, all individual rabbits have their own personalities, and you may meet one Polish that is nippy and skittish, but I have yet to meet a Polish with such a personality. We have Hammie, who snuggles under your chin and licks like a dog, Picasso, who loves to play with me with a ball and run around the house when he comes in for playtime, and Gizmo, who plays hide n' seek and LOVES to be held. Gizmo will practically jump into your arms! Also, all of our Polish rabbits are very easy to litter train, as they are very smart. If you're looking for a Polish bunny, we will have Polish babies born on March 3rd. We are in Michigan.

My house bunny is a velveteen lop. I couldn't imagine ever having a "better" pet bun. She's mellow and gets along with everyone: cat, dogs, kids, and other rabbits.

She's not free range though, since I have far too many electronics to ever make the house rabbit safe.. I think we have electronics than furniture...

Thanks all!! I loved my Netherland but she just wasn't a cuddler! I'll have to get a more definite answer on if we can get one or not but if she says yes then I might have to email you j&j!!

Back