Trying to figure out how to handle this.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay here's the background.
A fellow rabbit breeder knows that most of the rabbits in my rabbitry have a price. I'll sell 'em if you offer me enough money as I can always replace a rabbit.

If he wants a rabbit I generally give him a good deal since we switch rabbits back and forth. no biggie.

BUT now he's got a friend who wants to get a rabbit or two.
is planning to come over with him next week to get a rabbit or two.

Thing is.. I'm fairly sure the friend wants the same type of deal I give fellow rabbit breeder.
AND this person is UNWILLING (at least that's my read on it when you ask which specific rabbit are you interested in and all I get is a really vague response). all my rabbits have names so it's not rocket science to name them or be specific as to who you are interested in.

and right now I'm not real keen on letting anything go cheaply. I NEED the rabbits I have now. I can see letting one or two of my older does go, but not the younger ones... unless you offer me real good money for them (but they aren't worth real good money).

So I'm feeling a bit in a bind and wondering how does one approach this?

But I don't know... I'm just feeling a bit concerned and not sure if it's justified and it's just hard when you can't get a straight answer beyond.. "See you Wednesday!".

Why don't you make a list of who you are willing to let go and price that way you are in control of the situation. That's a awkward situation to be in.

You are selling the Rabbit,
so it is your decision as to which
one or ones are able to be taken!
You must decide before the purchaser arrives
who you are willing to let go!
it is a tough decision, but I am certain
that there must be a few that you are less attached to.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

If you don't have too many, perhaps you could attach price tags to the cages of buns? That way there isn't any awkwardness as to the price. You could always have a couple less valuable animals marked lower...

ladysown":16bukmd2 said:
and right now I'm not real keen on letting anything go cheaply. I NEED the rabbits I have now. I can see letting one or two of my older does go, but not the younger ones... unless you offer me real good money for them (but they aren't worth real good money).

The ones you are willing to let go, put a price tag on their cage.
And put what you want or NEED to get for that rabbit. Tell the person buying that you are FIRM on your price and that you won't be making deals. You can't afford to. And don't sell any that you will be hard pressed to find a equal or better replacement for.

If you need all or most all of the rabbits you currently have, then YES they are worth good money. Put a value to your product and stick to it. People like or want bargains, but it's not fair to ask a seller who puts a lot of time, effort and money into their animals to take a beating on them when it's time for them to get sold.

I have 2 mixed young male bunnies, that I told a lady $ 10 each. She pouted about the price and said she would have to ask her husband. I know the pet store would ask $ 20 each. Yes I understand they are going to be pets. But I have my time and feed into them. I paid $ 5 each as they were part of a recent deal that I made. If they won't meet my price, I can sell them on craigslist and I will ask more. They are half angora and really cute. I bought them, because I knew these people were looking for a bunny for their child, as they had been here recently buying eggs and I gave them a tour of my rabbitry.

I have a doe currently with a litter. She is mixed and not a big animal. She is a GOOD mommy rabbit. Her value maybe not a lot, but to me, she is worth keeping. She will foster other babies. That puts a higher value to her. I have one chicken who is 5 and her daugher who is 4. Neither one lay many eggs now. They are both very broody hens. They will sit on eggs 24/7 if I let them. They take excellent care of their babies and will accept other chicks to raise. They have a permanent home here. Sometimes we can't put a $$ value on a animal. They are just special :)

Everyone's given pretty good advice, but do stick to your guns when you set a price, and be sure to get it.

I'm pretty stubborn about it with both my angoras and my meat mutts. I know what they are worth to me, and I won't take any less. I do have deals for frequent customers, but only when I offer, they don't ask. And I have friends that we trade stock back and forth, but it's all reciprocal and the value amount is usually equal.

I dont put up wih people that try to haggle price and complain that I ask too much. In my mind, if they want angoras, then they obviously don't realize the care that goes into them for the price, and with the meat mutts, well, if I don't get what I ask then they're more valuable to me in the freezer.

Sometimes it's just not worth it. I'd rather feed the rabbit for longer than deal with people trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head imho. You don't owe anybody you don't know a "deal". Nobody gets a deal from me buying the first time. Repeat customers are a little different.

Like was said above. Make a list and tag the hutches. End of story.

I'm not sure if I'm too late on this reply but here is my method for reference (if interested). I never bring buyers into my barn. I bring out the rabbits that I am selling and they are the ONLY ones they see. If they ask specifically to see the parents I will bring them out one at a time but put them away immediately. This way, they can't see a "cuter" or better quality rabbit in my barn and not want what is available. I also have fellow breeders that get good deals from me but if they refer someone else that I am not all chummy with then I set a firm price right out of the gate. Take it or leave it.

Rule number 1 in any negotiation it's to get the other guy to name a price. You can never do worse than their offer, and often will do much better than you think you would before hand.
If you name a price first, you can only negotiate down.
When i put prices on stuff and critters I'm selling, i go a little higher than what i would pay, and negotiate to what i actually want.
Starting high and coming down makes people feel like they're getting a special deal, regardless of the situation.
Lawyers ask for the moon and stars, knowing they'll never get it, but they start in a position where they'll surely end up about where they want to be, and they use every bit of emotional leverage they can find to get there.

Back