Housetraining

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
When we first moved into the apartment I had two pet rabbits and had a terrible time litterbox training them. They did eventually get the hang of it, but for some reason they'd only go to pee in the box and still scattered their berries everywhere. It was like they didn't eve know they were pooping.

The house rabbits are gone now, but I'd like to have one again someday. Do they ever figure out to put their berries in the box too, or is it something that one would have to live with? Would they have learned to do it if they were younger? The rabbits were 3 and 6 when they moved in to the apartment.

Thank ya!

Rabbits are Rabbits,
they drop their berries wherever they may be.
they seem to have NO control over their sphincter muscle.
It's just part of the enjoyment of having a House Bunny. :roll:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I tend to agree w/ ottersatin, that they really don't notice they are pooping, but I do notice that the bulk of the poops are in one corner of the cage, so I think you would get the bulk in the litter pan, but there would always be some scattered around...Our bunnies live outside and come in for occasional visits, it is a good compromise, the kids play with them and then when they are done they put them away after, like toys...

I had a house rabbit for six years and it took about two weeks to completely train it to use a litter box. I would find the odd berry around here and there but 99% of them were in the box. I just started off with a box lined with newspaper and graduated to an actual litter box with clay litter, later changing that to litter made out of corn.

Yup - the odd berry isn't unusual but most get the hang of it generally quite well :)

Back