Rabbit Chewing Cage Bottom?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopsided

Reaction score
First off, let me just say I couldn't figure out whether this thread went here or in the illness thread.

My buck keeps chewing the wire bottom of his cage. I increased his feed a little bit and he isn't doing it so much. I also have a little mineral lick in there to keep him occupied. He hasn't been chewing on his resting mat though. Will this affect his teeth? Should I give him some more hay? Thanks in advance!

Lopsided":3h2vevjq said:
First off, let me just say I couldn't figure out whether this thread went here or in the illness thread.

I think it will go best in the Behavioral Issues forum. I'll move it for you. :)

Lopsided":3h2vevjq said:
I also have a little mineral lick in there to keep him occupied.

Did he have that before? I ask because the only reason I can think of for him to be chewing the bottom of the cage is maybe that he was lacking salt and was trying to get it from his urine. :sick:

Other than that, I can only guess that he is bored. Does he have any toys?

You can give him branches or chunks of untreated lumber to chew on. Other options are toilet paper or paper towel tubes, or even a brown cardboard box.

Good non-chew toys are empty vegetable or soup type cans (just make sure to crimp any sharp edges), whiffle balls, or plastic prescription bottles filled with pebbles or something else that will make noise. <br /><br /> -- Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:37 pm -- <br /><br /> One other thing- just in case there is something attractive about the -er-"flavor" of the floor wire, I would scrub the cage out with dish soap and water and rinse well.

I had originally bought them so that the rabbits could get some extra vitamins. He also had a salt lick in there, but I took it out yesterday because he wasn't using it. I have been giving him scraps of cardboard but he chews them up pretty quickly. I'll have to try and give him paper towel and toilet paper tubes and see if those last longer. Thank you! :D

I take the tuna and soup cans. Cut and crimp the ends, then kind of push them in a little bit so that they look oblong. Toss them in with baby chew rings and the rabbits spend the day tossing them all into the can, then toss the can around.

Sagebrush":2zkxo7zg said:
I take the tuna and soup cans. Cut and crimp the ends, then kind of push them in a little bit so that they look oblong. Toss them in with baby chew rings and the rabbits spend the day tossing them all into the can, then toss the can around.

That's a cool idea!! :)

Back